Why become a member? ×

Multi-instrument playing

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386842067' post='2305130']
There are examples on line of pianists playing trumpets etc, bassists playing three basses (Michael Manring). Plenty of party tricks to go 'round.
[/quote]

True. E.g. I found this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGkj6TyZKQ[/media]

I've seen Andy White playing guitar and singing while playing bass pedals, accompanied by a

But I'd be curious to hear if anyone here can do this, as I'd like to ask them about it.

Edit:

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1386842601' post='2305146']
Not with hands, but when our drummer (regularly) shows up late to a rehearsal, I will play kick and hats with my feet whilst playing bass.

I have a mate who does that and sings for his gigs whilst playing with a guitarist.
[/quote]

Do you find hand/feet independence easier to develop than hand/hand indepence?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1386842695' post='2305149']
Do you find hand/feet independence easier to develop than hand/hand indepence?
[/quote]

I must admit, I've never tried it. Not something that I'm really too fussed about trying, as I find it all a bit gimmicky if I'm honest. I include my own kick hats thing in that statement too - but that is mainly done out of necessity.

It would seem useful for a trio, who could occasionally use a few more complicated arrangements than would normally be possible. Also, if the trio was (say), drums, bass guitar, and maybe a brass instrument, then holding down the occasional keyboard chord might have its uses.

Edit: I greatly enjoyed the Satriani piece, both as a technical demonstration and as a piece of music.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote]Also, because bass and synth bass together were a key part of Michael’s sound, there were even sections of “Wanna Be Startin’ Something” and “Billie Jean” that I was playing bass and Minimoog together! I’d turn up my bass volume and really dig in with my left hand, hammering the notes, like on upright, while playing keyboard with my right hand[/quote]

Alex Al had to do it in the rehearsals for this is it.