Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Dingwall Super J 4, Black/Morado/Active-Passive/X-tender
£1600

Sumatra

[color=#FF0000][size=4][b]SOLD[/b][/size][/color]

Another good one is up for sale today.

Price or trade value: 1550 £ - 1840 euro (negotiable)
Price or trade value drop: 1500 £ - 1750 euro
Price or trade value drop: 1420 £ - 1700 euro
Price or trade value drop: 1400 £ - 1670 euro

This is a genuine Canadian made from Sheldon Dingwall: Super J 4 strings, black with grey-tortie pickguard and Morado board.

This bass features the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp: active-passive switch, volume, 4 ways pu selector (neck, both series, both parallel, bridge), bass, highs.
The bass control is only a boost, but what I found really intelligent is how the Highs control works: it has the central "click", then half way up it is a high boost in active mode, half way down it is a tone control that works [u]also[/u] in passive mode and let me say that I'll never thank Sheldon (or Mr. Aguilar?) enough for such a practical and intelligent arrangement.

For the rest I believe this is quite standard: lightweight (my kitchen scale calls for 3,8 kg), Dingwall Singles in 70s position, but to be honest IMHO the bridge PU when soloed can get very full and 60s-ish, Hipshot ultralite tuners with drop tuner on E string.

The bass is in overall excellent conditions: it has a very small ding on the back, and marks on the PUs (from location, under the strings, and aspect, roundwounds, they seem to be left by the strings as if a book pressed the strings on the PUs). I looked carefully but I couldn't find anything else. Also removed the PU to check if anything else was noticeable but everything looked like new, even the pus screws were not bent or showing damages.

Instructions and all Dingwall original allen keys are there.
In the price I include shipping to EU and a rigid very lightweight case that is not original but will protect it well for shipment.

Not looking for something specific in trade, unless you have a pre-CBS fretless Jazz. I'm willing to consider trades + cash for gear that I can resell very quickly.
Price is negotiable, if you're intersted throw a message my way, worst I can say is "no thanks"

Any other question I'm here to reply :)

PS and BTW: I haven't had really any problem to play on the fanned fretboard, and I could do that right away since the very first second I put my hands on this baby. The inclination of the fret on most of the fretboard assist the natural position of the fingers (that tend to open while you open the hand to reach the lower strings). Requires some attention only when playing chords or fast licks above 15th fret for me (note for the reader: I'm not able to play any fast lick :) )

And here is what I could see from the lock hole:
[attachment=150131:full fron.jpg][attachment=150132:full back.jpg][attachment=150133:headstock front.jpg][attachment=150134:SN.jpg][attachment=150137:fretboard.jpg][attachment=150138:body nick.jpg][attachment=150139:pus nics better.jpg]

thanks for looking,
Luca

PS: looking at the last pic, the one of the PUs, it seems like there are scratches in the body. There nothing there, I only increased contrast and sharpness dramatically to reveal those on the PU.

Edited by Sumatra

• 2 weeks later...

thanks rjmbass!!

believe it or not I saw that right 10-15minutes ago, but didn't think they could accept to take in another used instrument for a used instrument..

let's see what they think about :)

• 3 weeks later...