Why become a member? ×

Lightweight active Jazz bass

Paul S

I've been on the lookout for a lightweight active Jazz bass for a while, or at least a lightweight Jazz I can put a J retro in. I bought a Silver Series Squier a while back which started off at under 9lbs - changed the neck to a Mighty Mite Jazz neck, installed a J retro and Hipshot Bridge. After all those mods it weighed nearly 10lbs!

A few days ago I bought a Squier Deluxe IV on eBay from a guy who, it transpires, is a Basschatter thebassman75. In as new condition for £205. But even new they aren't that dear, £255 or so.

I've had it a few days now and can't believe how good it is for the money! It ticks all my boxes. It looks great - this one is all black, rear routed so no scratchplate (not everyone's cup of tea but I like it) black headstock, black ebanol fretboard increases the stealth look. It is lightweight at around 8.5lbs - I was practising for around 4hrs yesterday (lots to learn atm) and have *NO* backache today. The neck is lovely - I had to raise the action when I got it home as it was too low for my heavy-handed playing.

The active 3 band eq. is surprisingly good - not as good as the J-retro but I can get the sounds I want out of it. The tone from the pickups is not quite as rounded as the Silver Series but, well, good enough for my purposes. It sounds like a Jazz bass should, anyway. And even the bridge is more Gotoh-looking than the usual BBOT. Tuners are a little uneven but work just fine. Probably the first cheap bass I have bought that I am not tempted to tinker with.

I don't recall seeing these flagged up very often - but as a lightweight active Jazz they are worth considering.

Active vs passive - same as it does in all cases, really - more control over tone at your finger tips and an ability to 'add' bass/treble/mid at source as well as subtract. All of which I prefer.

Yes, neck pickup with bass rolled up and the mids/lows cut gives a really good deep bass.

There is no active/passive option other than keep everything at the centre indented position but I guess that isn't what you mean.

Played it all day today as well! :)

I had a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz (4 string version) and it was a great bass. Incredibly versatile, a tweak of the onboard eq and you could go from JJ Burnell to Flea in a matter of seconds. If you like Fenders these are worth checking out. It was also the most un-active sounding active bass I`ve ever had, it just sounded like a Jazz but with all the eq you`d normally have on your amp, but on the bass.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1386521377' post='2300980']

There is no active/passive option other than keep everything at the centre indented position but I guess that isn't what you mean.

[/quote]

I meant, does it work without a battery?

Also, I think you may have been lucky with the lightweight - some reviews say they are very heavy.

I don't think it works without a battery. To be fair it is an active model, which is the appeal for me. If you don't want an active model there are plenty to choose from. These are made of basswood, according to the Squier site, so they should be light, but - whatever - mine is! It has ended my search for a decent lightweight active Jazz bass and for only a couple of hundred quid as well :)

Thanks,I have a few passive Jazzes but I like the look of this bass and the active side appeals to me because I've never had one.
I just wondered if it will still work if the battery dies at a gig and also how long the battery lasts and whether there's any indication before it dies.

I won't order one blind without checking the weight first because I also like them light :)

I played one of those Jazzes a couple of years ago, I was very impressed, as I am with the Squier VM Active Jag I won - although it's a single pup MM style, not a Jazz. Very lightweight bass, and the neck was very good even though I swapped it for another, and I changed the hardware for Hipshot. I agree the 3-band active is not as good at a J-Retro, but a J-Retro costs almost as much as the whole bass.

I played the Squier Jag live for the first time with London Zulu last week, and it rocked! I had some great compliments afterwards. I left the active eq flat except for the odd bass boost for a couple of numbers.

These CV and VM Squiers are really amazing value for money. They are very well built and play really nicely.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386591549' post='2301781']

These CV and VM Squiers are really amazing value for money. They are very well built and play really nicely.
[/quote]

I absolutely agree and I see no reason to spend on a Fender just for the logo.
I have a Farida Jazz bass made in the same factory as the Squier CVs and it is first class at any price, easily as good as a new Fender standard imao.
The only downside of these great Chinese basses is that they are new - I prefer the feel of a vintage bass.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1386592151' post='2301799']
I absolutely agree and I see no reason to spend on a Fender just for the logo.
I have a Farida Jazz bass made in the same factory as the Squier CVs and it is first class at any price, easily as good as a new Fender standard imao.
The only downside of these great Chinese basses is that they are new - I prefer the feel of a vintage bass.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say they are near a match for the USA Standard, but they are for the few Mex Standards I've tried. Although the new USA Standards I tried recently were not as nice at the ones I tried a few years ago.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386592791' post='2301814']
I wouldn't say they are near a match for the USA Standard, but they are for the few Mex Standards I've tried. Although the new USA Standards I tried recently were not as nice at the ones I tried a few years ago.
[/quote]

You've played the Faridas too?
Not many people have it seems, I prefer mine to the excellent Squire CV it replaced and it's easily on a par with the US Fender standards I've played, to the point I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blindfold test.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1386614308' post='2302216']
You've played the Faridas too?
Not many people have it seems, I prefer mine to the excellent Squire CV it replaced and it's easily on a par with the US Fender standards I've played, to the point I doubt anyone could tell the difference in a blindfold test.
[/quote]
Sorry mate I meant the Squiers. Not tried a Farida but I hear very good things.