Why become a member? ×

For Everyone Who Started Playing Late in Life...

Lowender

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1386262649' post='2297925']
I am another of those who played in his youth then put down the bass for decades only to rekindle an interest/love in later life. I am forty seven now and play much better than I did in my youth probably because I listen to different music now and not just punk :)

The whole ten thousand hours thing used to dismay me a fair bit but now I just play for the enjoyment and dont worry about how I should be progressing too much.
[/quote]

I totally agree.

The other thing to remember is that the original 10,000 hours thing was made in the context of Olympic athletes, world famous concert violinists, and sporting megastars like Tiger Woods.

One of the beautiful things about music is that you can be making, writing, and performing some beautiful stuff without needing to be technically amazing. You don't need to reach the pinnacle of technical proficiency to enjoy it. :-)

A couple of comments really - when you're older you're more likely to give something your best efforts because you really want to be doing something so perhaps you get more out of your hour practice than you did when you were younger? It's no longer just a case of learning something parrot fashion, but perhaps there's a greater interest into the process and mechanics, not just the end results.

The second is that both guitar ad bass are easy to get stared on to a degree where you can play a few things quickly, but very few people every truly master so as long as you're enjoying your playing and having fun then surely all's good?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1386288276' post='2298490']

One of the beautiful things about music is that you can be making, writing, and performing some beautiful stuff without needing to be technically amazing. You don't need to reach the pinnacle of technical proficiency to enjoy it. :-)
[/quote]

+1
Very well said.

I think there are two different frames of thought here. If it's about playing well enough to enjoy it, then it's all subjective. That's having a hobby. I was talking about excelling at something and not letting a late start deter you. As for LaFaro, he's a freak and the fact that he reinvented the instrument that he played for just a few years shows he was a genius among geniuses. But it also negates the notion that no one gets good unless they start very young or play for X amount of years. It comes down to talent, desire and commitment.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1386387394' post='2299646']
As for LaFaro, he's a freak and the fact that he reinvented the instrument that he played for just a few years shows he was a genius among geniuses. But it also negates the notion that no one gets good unless they start very young or play for X amount of years. It comes down to talent, desire and commitment.
[/quote]

Scott LaFaro started playing [i]music[/i] young though. He picked up bass when he was entering music college---he was already a very keen (and good) musician.

I don't disagree with the point you're making, just that you've picked an example that doesn't best illustrate it.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1386504102' post='2300734']
Scott LaFaro started playing [i]music[/i] young though. He picked up bass when he was entering music college---he was already a very keen (and good) musician.

I don't disagree with the point you're making, just that you've picked an example that doesn't best illustrate it.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure that's so relevant. Lots of musicians start with another instrument or drawing pictures or writing stories or doing something artistic. It all helps of course, but playing a specific instrument requires input on THAT instrument. If you never touched a saxophone and started playing now, you'd have some advantages but it would still take years just to be somewhat proficient. LaFaro became a master in a matter in just a few years. I'd say that's a damn good example.

Regardless of how good you become, you will never be better than jaco, Jameson, Clark, flea or whoever it is you see as the pinnacle of bass playing. Well most of us anyway, you ask any of these players if they think they are the greatest and they will tell you who their bass playing heroes are, unless of coarse they are an arrogant k@£b.
I actually think 10000 hours is a great benchmark, but not a hard and fast rule. Work hard at your craft, use whatever time you have available to be as productive as possible and always aim high, TRY and be the next Jaco. YOU may never see yourself that way, but as long as you are enjoying it, does it matter? Who knows, someone may see you as their pinnacle of bass playing..