Why become a member? ×

MarkBass Minimark 802 FS in 'Amps forum', DB-friendly * SOLD PENDING *
£600

Clarky

I know I shouldn't list this in two fora, but the DB players of BassChat might not spot this otherwise - and its a very DB friendly amp

Link here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223948-markbass-minimark-802-new-model%3B-excellent-condition/page__pid__2296271#entry2296271"]http://basschat.co.u...71#entry2296271[/url]

Apologies mods if this is a bit cheeky

Edited by Clarky

Don't think it's cheeky at all Clarky
It's not an amp I'd consider for putting DB through

I've got a Markbass 102P and a 15" extension cab,
and I'm just starting to play about with the sounds using my DB with different combinations / pickups / etc
I was surprised how the 102 sounded warmer, and generally better than just using an amp head with the 15"

I would have thought DB sounded better through the larger speaker...
Now you've given me something else to think about

Cheers
Marc

Hi Marc, the big trend on DB is to use small speakers - witness Mike Arnopol and Greenboy's in-vogue Crazy 8 and Crazy 88 cabs and the former's MA-45 (a 4x5" cab, as owned by TheRev on BC and bassace)

Looks like mine might be sold to one of the usual suspects ;)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1386280002' post='2298327']
Hi Marc, the big trend on DB is to use small speakers.......
[/quote]

Hi Clarky,
Hmmm, just wondering why this is?
Wish I had the dosh to get one now
These little amps are just so portable & neat....

I'd like to try my DB through one, but no-one sells Markbass around here at the moment...
Shame..... still, she'd no doubt tell me I don't need another amp ;)

Phil Jones does combos and cabs with 5" speakers and provides some technical thingummydoobery as to why these carry bass fundamentals so well. Don't understand myself. So you could check out say a PJB Briefcase or Cub for rehearsals or a Flightcase or Superflightcase for gigging?

Edited by Clarky

As one who started with an 18" I can assure you that smaller is better for DB (well, perhaps exaggerating a bit). According to the room and the bass I'm using I choose between 10" Genz, 10" Wizzy and a 4x5" Arnapol. But in a bigger room the 12" Wizzy comes out and that's a bit of a joy. The thing about a DB is that you need a 'fast' speaker to articulate the complex string dynamics and much of the time you're looking to project strong mids rather than a thumping bass. Only my opinion.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1386331861' post='2298831']
...... The thing about a DB is that you need a 'fast' speaker to articulate the complex string dynamics and much of the time you're looking to project strong mids rather than a thumping bass. Only my opinion.
[/quote]

A well thought one though, thanks for sharing