Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combo speaker performance.

Grangur

Hi there.,

I've got a 100w Roland Cube that I use for playing at home. Most of the time I have both gain and volume at about 30%. Its good for lounge playing and Mrs G likes it. (Not too loud)

Occasionally I get the gaff to myself and I like to let the amp stretch its legs a bit and turn the gain and volume up to 50-60%, but then the speaker (12") starts to show signs of not liking the bass frequencies too much. It doesn't fart, but I can hear distortion. If I back off the bass and boost the treble we're back in business again with a clean tone.

Is this normal for a combo speaker to only take half volume?

I don't gig yet so I'm not really looking for big volume, but I get the impression that this cube would hold its own in a small gig if the speaker would stand up to it. Would this all be sorted out by getting a cab added, or should I trade it?

What you're hearing sounds like electronic clipping from having the gain up too high. The gain control is used to increase the input from your bass to a usable signal that the power amp can amplify. If you increase the gain too much the signal from your bass will start to distort and you will get clipping even at low volumes (there may be a warning light that comes on when this happens). My advice is to turn the gain right down and the volume to full. Then slowly increase the gain. stop when the amp starts to distort (or the neighbours start to complain - whichever is sooner). You should get lots of clean loud sound level out of your amp this way.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1386166089' po
[quote]st='2296627']
Is this normal for a combo speaker to only take half volume?
[/quote]It is. Combos tend not to use the highest quality drivers, and the cabinet size concessions made to keep the rig light and portable are reflected in limited low frequency output capability.

Hi All,
Many thanks for the advice and info. It's much appreciated.

I have 3 basses and I've been playing with the volume and gain. It's been interesting. I've turned it up and had the plates rattling. Strangely it didn't "feel" loud to me, but I'd want to do a sound check in a pub or somewhere to find out how it fares if I was going to gig. Soft furnishings in the lounge can soak up a lot I guess, but then so will people. So maybe I should think about an extension cab for more sound.

In any case, if I get a gig I'll go chat with Gary Mac and get more advice.

I have a LTD ESP 5 string fretless, active. This it seems is the real deep bass monster of the 3.

Next was the Warwick - nice and punchy while giving a good growl.

Last was the fully pimped Squire with quarter-pounders. That too has a good punchy sound and the tone control gives it a good level of bass.

After this I'm wondering what the hell I was doing wrong. Why didn't I try turning the gain down... duhhhh.

Cheers

Richard

Hi, I also use a CB100 & I'm looking to get the Eden EX112-8 as a similar sized cab to stack with the Roland. I've played small venues with ease volume-wise, but stacked together would bring the amp up to a better listening height on stage I think & give a little more bottom end. Mine is definitely a keeper. Chris

Edited by grandad