Why become a member? ×

Reverend Decision vs Fender P American Special

Dennis1971

Hi All,

So here is the dilemma, I am looking for a new bass and I was initially going out to buy one of the Squier VM series. But the budget crept up a bit and I tried a Reverend Decision and that was great to play.

One of the issues I had with the Squier was the thick lacquer on the neck, I cannot get on with it. It just sticks my fingers in place. Oh, what is hanging there a Fender American Special Pbass. Different sound but I was great to play.

Problem > budget went from £350 to £650 for the decision and the Pbass is £845…..

I am looking for a solid bass, I am not a slapping all out funk monster. Steady bass line, yes more my style..

Any other basses I should be looking at.

Thanks

DennisReverend Decision vs Fender P American Special

So here is the dilemma, I am looking for a new bass and I was initially going out to buy one of the Squier VM series. But the budget crept up a bit and I tried a Reverend Decision and that was great to play.

One of the issues I had with the Squier was the thick lacquer on the neck, I cannot get on with it. It just sticks my fingers in place. Oh, what is hanging there a Fender American Special Pbass. Different sound but I was great to play.

Problem > budget went from £350 to £650 for the decision and the Pbass is £845…..

I am looking for a solid bass, I am not a slapping all out funk monster. Steady bass line, yes more my style..

Thanks

Dennis

Hi Dennis

I don't know anything about the Reverend basses I'm afraid, but regarding the sticky finish on the back of the neck on the Squier, it is a fairly easy job to sand it off a bit yourself to de-laquer it, and with a relatively inexpensive bass like that it isn't such a big decision whether to set about altering it to suit you. The American Special Precision looks O.K , but the problem is that the American Standard doesn't cost that much more and is a much better bass, on balance.

Another bass to check out in the American Special price range would be the Yamaha BB1024( or 1024x if you want a scratchplate and metal knobs on it. ) . It's a killer P bass in it's own right , with its' own unique sound and a lot to recommend it in terms of versatility of tone and construction.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dennis1971' timestamp='1386071548' post='2295213']
Hi All,

Thanks

DennisReverend Decision vs Fender P American Special

Thanks

Dennis
[/quote]

The Fender Nate Mendel Signature Precision is £711 (street price) is 'road worn' so has a neck that feels worn and comfortable so might be worth a look :)

For the life of me I cannot understand why people want to spend so much money on a Precision-based bass, when you can pick up a 1980's Westone Thunder 1 for about a £100. Add a decent pickup and you have Matsumoku-build quality, top tone woods, construction and stability, a lovely playable neck inbetween a P and a J and an investment that will only increase in value at this point. These basses are not just good for the money they are great basses, full stop. the resonance and tonal consistency across the neck in most of them is the equal of most very expensive new basses these days Don't underestimate the choice of woods and construction technique in a bass. It was generally done right, back in Japan in the 80's, except in the cheapest model lines.
The only negatives are the weight (although not extremely heavy, they are not light basses) and the name on the headstock.
And, yes, I'm sure there are one or two dogs out there but most of the Thunders out there are gems.

Apologies for my slight lack of objectivity on this matter.

Edited by hamfist

No problem with the comments 'hamfist' but I am not an expert on bass guitars and don't know the ins and outs of the older basses and smaller makes that have disappeared. So I don't mind these posts they give me something to look for. The only reason I mentioned the two I did was that I played them in my local shop.

If I buy new I most likely buy from there if 2nd hand I will be looking on this forum.