Why become a member? ×

Transporting a Double Bass

Buzzy

I can get my bass in my wife's Peugeot 107 and the amp on the front seat.

Ive also got a bass in a Fiat Cinquecento when we had it as a courtesy car. That is an even smaller car.

I lay the bass on its back (rear seats down) with the neck sticking out between the driver and passenger seats almost touching the rear view mirror.

Someone on here pointed out that if you lie the bass on its back you need to put something under the body to lift it to prevent strain on the neck.

I hadn't known that, but luckily when you fold my back seats down they are angled up slightly anyhow, so the headstock is never carrying weight.

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1386330950' post='2298814']
Someone on here pointed out that if you lie the bass on its back you need to put something under the body to lift it to prevent strain on the neck.

I hadn't known that, but luckily when you fold my back seats down they are angled up slightly anyhow, so the headstock is never carrying weight.
[/quote]
Yeah it's always best to be cautious about these things, any extra strain on the neck / heel area is best avoided - especially being bumped around in a car.

Hi Buzzy what sort of money do they charge for hiring a bass and for how long etc?
Ive always known it could be done but never known how much it would be.

I went to Thwaites when I was looking for a new bass. Excellent shop with a lot of good sounding basses.

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1386382982' post='2299637']
Hi Buzzy what sort of money do they charge for hiring a bass and for how long etc?
Ive always known it could be done but never known how much it would be.

I went to Thwaites when I was looking for a new bass. Excellent shop with a lot of good sounding basses.
[/quote]

Hi TheG, £35 per month, open ended deal. You can add an extra £2 for damage insurance if you are taking the bass to loads of gigs etc.
They fitted a new set of strings before I took the bass as they looked a bit worn near the nut. All in all they were very helpful ( I dealt with Shakira)only down side is they don't deliver rental instruments so I had a 100 mile round trip and they don't do a rent to buy.