Why become a member? ×

Goliath III owners - can you help?

Bassclef

Unsure if my Goliath III is 4 ohm or 8 ohm. Have measured with a digital multimeter and am getting 4.3 ohms. Various forums say indicated reading will be about three quarters of real impedance which suggests I have approximately a 5.7 ohm cab!?

Same multimeter gives 5.4 ohms on an 8 ohm Son of Bertha which seems about right.

Any BCers have a Goliath they can measure so I can compare?

I don't have the SWR cab but if I multi-meter my 4 ohm 15" HH driver, it measures ~3.85 ohm so you might not be a million miles off. Also consider you have a high frequency component in that cab and some form of crossover network so that may well be confusing your reading a little..

I'd consider your cab 4 ohm..

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1385822319' post='2292555']
I had a goliath iii 8 ohm cab which measured at approx 5.9 ohms
I would check the drivers and wiring to be sure they should all be marked individually
[/quote]

Thanks Winterfire. I didn't really want to open up the cab but it was easier than I thought.

The speakers are not marked with any brand name. Each has a sticker "BG1080C[b] 8[/b]", and the surface has "104-38" and "082 04" printed on it. Photos attached - are these the normal drivers??

I disconnected each individually, and each gave 4.4 on the multimeter. They are wired in parallel pairs of series, which means the overall reading should also be 4.4. Why it's not closer to your 5.9, goodness knows. But the dial thing inside is clearly marked "8 ohms" so at least I know what it's "meant" to be!

Googled "BG1080C 8" and they are the normal speakers.

In [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192493-how-to-measure-ohms-of-a-cab/"]this old thread[/url] another BCer asks my exact question, and gets some interesting answers. I like the one about the Goliath being a 6 ohm cab!

I had a look at the old thread too..

I once replaced some burned out Ashdown drivers for a friend which had 6 ohm stamped on the frame. I think i was an old MAG 410.. The cab was rated for 450w with a claimed impedance of 8 but it was wired series / parallel with 4 of these identical units and that doesn't make a nominal 8, makes a nominal 6 in my book.