Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-40 wiring on basses that aren't Peavey T-40s

mrdreadful

Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

I want to wring every ounce of tone I can possibly get from my Retrovibe RV4 (2 MM-style humbuckers) and think the Peavey T-40 wiring might actually work pretty well for it, but wanted to just see if anyone else has done similar and get some idea of peoples' experiences if there are any... pretty much doing this because it's cheaper than buying a new bass.

[attachment=149483:t40t60qf5nc7.gif]

It all depends on how many wires you have coming from the pickups in your retrovibe. By the looks of the diagram, there are 4 wires coming from each of the T40 pickups. I have a feeling the T40 pickups are extra special. The controls give the capability of sweeping from humbucker to single coil and phase shifting potential for the bridge pickup built in.

I really miss my T40. I should get another one.

Pretty sure the pickups are 4-wire. Looked at them a while ago when I was thinking about doing regular coil tap wiring.

What I'd really like is an actual T-40 but I don't have the funds for that right now and kind of need to finish all my parts projects before buying any more instruments!

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1385751981' post='2291908']
It all depends on how many wires you have coming from the pickups in your retrovibe. By the looks of the diagram, there are 4 wires coming from each of the T40 pickups. I have a feeling the T40 pickups are extra special. The controls give the capability of sweeping from humbucker to single coil and phase shifting potential for the bridge pickup built in.

I really miss my T40. I should get another one.
[/quote]

I'm not very technically minded re electronics etc, but I've just taken delivery of a beautiful T40 (bought here on BC from Old Horse Murphy) and my first impressions are that it's a fantastic instrument - worth twice the £400 I paid for it in terms of quality of construction, feel/playability and tonal variety. Loving it. And amazing value. Go get yourself another one!

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1385892797' post='2293148']
I have a few of those humbucker-to-single-coil pots from when I had a t-40 yonks back. I think I needed one for repair purposes but at the time Peavey only sold bags of ten. Something like that!
[/quote]

Is there anything special about them? There doesn't appear to be, from the circuit diagram posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I did this and it worked. Hurrah! Totally ignored the 'advice' about pot values being tied to pickup impedance (because it appears to me to be so much technobabble) and went with 500k volume and 250k tone/split. The parts alone make the bass sound miles better than it did before, plus the wiring makes it a whole bunch more versatile.

[url="http://atomictangerinemusic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/carlsbro-pa60-blues-and-retrovibe-rvt-40.html"]http://atomictangeri...ibe-rvt-40.html[/url]

Edited by mrdreadful

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1394620854' post='2393333']
just because it was made in a particular way, are we all constrained to only ever use it like that? #bagofworms :ph34r:
[/quote]

Heh... Mrs. D was puzzled about why I spend £300 on a bass and then rip all the wiring out and change it completely!