Why become a member? ×

More Sandberg woes

John Cellario

[b] My 6 month old California has just been returned from Germany where it had to be returned due to the neck warping. It was to have a new neck fitted as the 'warp' could not be solved with truss rod adjustment.
However, it still has the same neck and Sandberg seem to have simply straightened the neck with a 'fret dressing'. It still has minor warping issues. The guitar tech at the dealer was not happy with what had been done, so once more, it goes back to Germany.
Sandberg were quick to return the bass (3 weeks), but have not corrected the original fault. Sorry to say I'm losing faith and confidence in Sandberg and my 'dream' bass.[/b]

PS. Have a look at this 16 year old girls playing on a six string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1wazW17qA&list=RDNoIBY8qtuG8

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1385570939' post='2289796']
[b] My 6 month old California has just been returned from Germany where it had to be returned due to the neck warping. It was to have a new neck fitted as the 'warp' could not be solved with truss rod adjustment.
However, it still has the same neck and Sandberg seem to have simply straightened the neck with a 'fret dressing'. It still has minor warping issues. The guitar tech at the dealer was not happy with what had been done, so once more, it goes back to Germany.
Sandberg were quick to return the bass (3 weeks), but have not corrected the original fault. Sorry to say I'm losing faith and confidence in Sandberg and my 'dream' bass.[/b]

PS. Have a look at this 16 year old girls playing on a six string.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1wazW17qA&list=RDNoIBY8qtuG8[/media]
[/quote]

When this problem occurred I said to judge Sandberg by what they did to put it right. Unfortunately , they have done nothing except piss you about , by the sound of it.

Get a new neck or get a refund and kick Sandberg into touch.

If the neck warped so soon after purchase on a brand new bass then the goods were never of a marketable quality ( to use the legal term) , considering their retail price, and therefore the manufacturer has broken their contract with the consumer . If they cannot or will not repair the goods satisfactorily then you are entitled to a full refund .

The only thing that could be said in mitigation for Sandberg is that maybe( maybe) there was some kind of a miscommunication somewhere along the line and they got the wrong message about what was expected of them with the neck on this bass.

Hi Everyone

Here is what Sandberg actually did to the neck:

:[i][color=#1F497D][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=2]First of all we checked the neck and saw, that it was twisted, but it was not too much so we planed the fingerboard with our plek machine. [/size][/font][/color][b]After refretting we also leveled the frets with the plek machine which works with a correctness of 1/100 mm. T[/b][color=#1F497D][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=2]hat’s why we are sure, that this neck is leveled in a good quality [/size][/font][/color][/i]
[i][b][color=#1F497D][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=2]Anyway, if you think that this bass needs a new neck we will of course do that."[/size][/font][/color][/b][/i]
[b][font="Calibri, sans-serif"]As you can see they are offering to make a new neck without any quibble .[/font][/b]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]Sandberg has always prided themselves on great customer service and will go beyond any other manufacturer I have known (and I have controlled over 30 brands in my 35 years, big and small) to make sure the customer comes first.[/color][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]I would not loose confidence in Sandberg's quality control at all, as this is only the 2nd incidence in my 9 years of handling Sandberg basses. Wood is a living thing and problems like this can occur, even with the most expensive of products. The key thing is that Sandberg will make it good. They are the nicest guys to deal with (bar non) and have developed a reputation for making basses of quality.[/color][/font]

I've had an email from Sandberg via the distributor, (see Alans post above), which says they de-fretted the neck, planed it down to remove the warp and re-fretted it. However, a number of people in the shop commented on the fact that they could still see a number of dips in the neck. Anyway, Sandberg have agreed to fit a new neck so we'll wait fto see the returned guitar.

Edited by John Cellario

I'd agree that's not good enough.

I had an issue with a neck on a Warwick once - it was one of their first 6-string bolt-ons and the truss rod broke. They told me that the neck wasn't a strong enough design, they took my bass off to Germany for three weeks, sent it back with a replacement neck made from different laminates and a bunch of other freebies to say sorry. I hadn't even bought the bass new, or even in Europe. That's what you'd expect from a 'premium' manufacturer.

Edit: I was typing my reply before the previous two responses arrived. Glad to hear Sandberg are doing the right thing because I really want a Sandberg… :D

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='agreensall' timestamp='1385585880' post='2290065']
Hi Everyone

[b][font=Calibri, sans-serif]As you can see they are offering to make a new neck without any quibble .[/font][/b]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]Sandberg has always prided themselves on great customer service and will go beyond any other manufacturer I have known (and I have controlled over 30 brands in my 35 years, big and small) to make sure the customer comes first.[/color][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]I would not loose confidence in Sandberg's quality control at all, as this is only the 2nd incidence in my 9 years of handling Sandberg basses. Wood is a living thing and problems like this can occur, even with the most expensive of products. The key thing is that Sandberg will make it good. They are the nicest guys to deal with (bar non) and have developed a reputation for making basses of quality.[/color][/font]
[/quote]

I would agree 100% that even the highest quality buiders can have unforseeable problems with wood and how it behaves once you make a bass neck out of it . It's impossible to tell if there is a knot or defect of some kind inside the wood that is invisible to the eye but likely to cause problems with stability ect.

In the past , on two occasions I have had had necks that went bit wonky on very high-end and otherwise well-made basses , but luckily in both instances the manufacturer put the problem right for me and all was well. It sounds like the good news here is that , one way or another, Sandberg are going to take care of their customer and John is going to get his bass made perfect :) .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1385622165' post='2290285']
I got fender uk to pay 1/2 toward a new neck out of warranty , so ifs it's new it should be covered, I'm sure you have ready but push and pesture, this is doing thier reputation no good

Good luck
[/quote]

Did you read the thread?