Why become a member? ×

American Special Jazz over the American standard

Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1385549723' post='2289480']
Hi

can some kind soul tell me if the Special is worth the extra ? 2013 model. Cant see a lot of difference in the specs.

I thought graphite rods were nornal in American standards these days along with custom shop pickups ?

thanks
[/quote]

The Special is actually *cheaper* than the Standard - differences I think are 'Greasebucket' tone in Special vs regular treble-reducing tone in Std, Std is string thru body or top load, hardware espy tuners on Special are cheaper, whereas Standard has Hipshot low weight tuners. Std has USA CS pickup.

Have never actually played a Special so cant comment on whether these differences amount to much. I do know that my 2012 Std is superbly well built and plays beautifully.

hth

The Special has allegedly got a slightly slimmer neck profile that the Americamnn Standard, too, if that matters to you.

I like the more substantial hardware , build and better pickups on the post 2012 Am St basses , but I've never tried an Am Special to compare it , so can't say how good value they are by comparision . What I can say is that a good post-2012 Am St Jazz Bass sounds and plays as good as a lot of boutique Jazz Basses costing twice the price or more , so in that respect is a great purchase that you could enjoy for the rest of you bass playing days. In light of that, it is probably worth the extra money.

The Am Special is Fender's attempt to give the recession- hit market an American-made bass at a more affordable price, but to do so certain cost-cutting compromises in construction will have to have been made..

The Hardshell case that comes with the Am. Std. is about a $150. up-grade over the Gig bag that comes with the Am Spl. The CS60's pups on the Am. Std., are a bit better over all than the AlnicoV's. The High Mass Bridge, allowing on top, or string through the body is a good up-grade as well. Better tuners, a better electronics set up. The Grease Bucket electronics on the Am. Spl., had some issues of readability. The Am. Std. also has rolled edges on the fretboard. Value of the Am. Std. is higher now, or if in the future, you want, or need to sell, or trade in the Am. Std. Rumor has it also that the Alder wood in the body of the Am. Std. is a better grade than the Am. Spl. Not that important but, I don't know if the Am. Spl. comes with the case candy the Am. Std. comes with. (strap, inst. cord, polishing cloth)

[color=#333333][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]The Am. Std. comes with [/font][/color][color=#333333][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]8250M, NPS, (.045, .065, .085, .110TW Gauges) Strings. The Am. Spl. comes with [/font][/color][color=#333333][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges) Strings.[/font][/color]
The Am. Std. also gives more options of body finish, and board woods. The Am. Spl. allows 4 options. The Am. Std. allows 12 options. The Am. Std. I believe is the best, most solid all around Fender Bass of any of the Fender Bass series' available at this time.

Edited by gsgbass

I had an American Special jazz, unfortunately the best thing about the bass was the neck which I eventually put on my Squier CV.

The tone was quite underwhelming, it lacked warmth and punch which I attribute to the grease bucket tone control. Unlike a normal jazz with a tone control in which you're much more able to find a sweet spot for whatever tone you might need, the GB seems to give the tone a constant trebly zing which can't be cut fully.

The playability was ok, the bridge is the same as the standard BBOT bridges on all MIM basses. Also, the truss rod adjustment is at the heel of the neck so that got annoying rather quickly whilst trying to set it up comfortably.

Overall I found it to be a pretty uninspiring bass, compared to my Squier it really was disappointing and IMHO not worth it's price tag (£750-£800 new) which I unfortunately paid in full.

Of course that's just my experience, I'm certain there are many others who really enjoy the American Special and have nothing but praise for them.