Why become a member? ×

Dream Theater

bigd1

Ooooofft........how dare they play their instruments fast!!

I saw DT in the cathouse in Glasgow many many years ago and have followed them since. It was almost like the punk scene in the way that all prog and metal changed at the end of the 80's. DT are influenced by Yes and Rush but unlike other prog acts they wanted to play prog metal. Pretty much unless you like it hard and heavy it's unlikely you will like DT, the same applies to Mettalica fans and Yes.
Me, I love Yes,Tull,Genesis, DT etc I love the fast tech stuff too...it doesnt need to be warm and it IS musical it's maybe not to your liking but still musical. There are nice warm Ballads you just need to find them.
I think the new CD is one of the best, the production is ace, i can hear Johns bass clearley for a change and some of it sounds like Geddy, so double ace!!
I also think they are better off without Portnoy, It's not as heavy now and when I go see them I get to hear more DT stuff and not an hours worth of some favorite classic album of Portnoy he's pushed the band into covering!

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1385295674' post='2286459']
Phenomenal musicians, though I find LaBrie's voice unbearable when he starts wailing.[/quote]

Me too. He is definitely the weak link IMO. I would far rather listen to Portnoy with Transatlantic - not quite as high-brow but much more enjoyable and soulful (if prog can ever be regarded as being soulful!).

Just got into Dream Theater.....be it 25 years late lol.....the word 'Prog' put me off....images of yes, Floyd and Genesis made me shudder so I ignored them....a mate of mine played me some and I was hooked....I think Petrucci is just a Riff Monster some of the classiest Heavy Riffs I've ever heard.

I like Yes but could never get on with DT, all very soulless for me I'm afraid but chops by the bucketload it can't be denied. I wonder if they have now peaked? I went to a Camel gig in Wolverhampton in October and was surprised to see DT booked to the same venue soon after, I thought they had got to arena shows by now? I did see them at Rock City years ago but I was really there for Spock's Beard as the support. Most dischuffed when we turned up and it was an early show, we only saw SB's last 2 songs then had to endure the whole of DT. Caught up with them again at High Voltage in 2011, didn't even make it to the end of that gig.

SFAM is my favourite but legally has to be listened to from start to finish without breaks.

Train of Thought and Octavarium are next up, newer albums just don't grip me as much but do have good moments. It's just a shame they can't make good albums anymore.

Edited by Machines