Why become a member? ×

P bass body

Roger2611

I have been a bad man, I have a really early 50's classic Precision in Black, it has a much nicer neck profile than the later ones but is still a bit chunky for my liking, I also own a 1979 Olympic White Precision which weighs in at a stupid 11 1/2lbs but has a really wonderful neck, so I have cannibalised both basses I have put the 79 neck on the 50's classic body which now weighs in at a quite manageable 9lbs and makes for a really nice bass.

The thing is I love the Olympic White / black scratch plate / maple neck look so I want to find a nice light Oly white body preferably a little aged to match the rest of the bass so I can return the 50's classic to stock and rebuild the 79 as original as possible just at a useable weight instead (I can just sling the old body under the bed in case stupidly heavy basses ever come back into fashion)

Can anyone recommend a supplier or builder of a high quality preferably aged Oly white body?

Cheers
Rog

http://www.simscustom.com/html/00bodyshop.htm

Simms custom shop gets my vote.
I ordered a lightweight alder P bass body from them. It's a cnc clone of a genuine '64 P and my Precision now weighs in at 8.3lbs which my bad back likes alot.
Pricey though as I think it was 240 for the body which was just the bare wood. Another 200 for any colour.
They did have even lighter weight swamp ash at the time too.
I did my body natural myself and boy is it resonant, a pleasure to play even acoustically.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/214975-my-fenders-greatest-hits-project-help-me-decide-on-what-finish-please/page__pid__2191173#entry2191173

You can see my P body on this thread in build diaries. Nice grain for alder, top quality wood from Simms. They are great to chat to on the phone too, really helpful. (No affiliation by the way)