Why become a member? ×

Genz vs Euphonic

aende

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 vs Euphonic Audio Micro

Genz has a headphone out and a tube preamp - but really, what am I gonna get from these? I am switching out my heavy duty GK rig for something allot lighter and more neutral.

Thoughts and experiences please - reliability/tone and real world volume/usability.

I've had the 6.0 for years driving a Genz 2x12 with no reliability issues, more volume than i have ever needed. Tone wise they are very clear, plenty of lows and masses of highs how that compares to the euphonic i have no idea and which one your ears prefers only you can tell I'd say. I went for a 9.2max head to go with it but purely for the fun of it :)

The question is; Do I need the volume. I have used the GK 1001 @ 8 ohm on a few big gigs and not really pushed it - through a 410 though.

Thinking at a 2 x 112 setup witha 500w/600w amp may be enough for me, function rooms can be a bitch to fill though.

I've got the 6.2 and its a very good amp indeed. By default its very clean and balanced. However, it does warm up very nicely if you push the gain up (and yes, it does have a tube in the pre section). Its not at as thick and tubey as the Streamliner, but it can get pretty close. I love both amps, but if I could only keep one, then it'd probably be the shuttle as its a great all rounder. It can get pretty loud (I use a Shuttle 2x10 cab) for smaller pub gigs etc, but if you have the need to go really loud, then I'd go for the 9.2. A lot of this depends on what cabs you'll be running it through. Put it through something efficient and you'd probably have no probs. I don't have any experience of the euphonics gear.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385132917' post='2284845']
I picked up the ShuttleMax12.2 in the GAK deal..... It's monstrously loud.... I've had a fair chance to play around with it now and I'm really liking the sound, it's incredibly versatile and for what I paid it's a hell of a lot of amp.
[/quote]

Agreed. If you barter with GAK/etc they will probably knock it down a bit more.

Saying that, £599 is INCREDIBLY good value for what the amp does. If I didn't have the Max 9.2 I would buy one.

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1385131975' post='2284827']
....The question is; Do I need the volume. Thinking at a 2 x 112 setup witha 500w/600w amp may be enough for me....
[/quote]

It's not about volume it's about headroom, which about tone. If you want clean and full tone that is.

I'm currently running 500-600 watts through a 212 and previously through 2 112 cabs and the sound and volume is the best.

I've had the EAiAmp 350 and a Shuttle 9.2, albeit separated by an eight year gap.

The EA is some of the best-built gear I've come across. Heavy, but very sturdy. The tone is very transparent, so as long as your technique and bass are making nice noises, you're set. They are also extremely versatile, but to be honest the control array was too much for my tiny brain, so I ended up using presets a lot of the time.

The Shuttle is very similar in its transparency, very clean, and also incredibly versatile. IMO the valve overdrive sound is a bit weak, and just a token addition, it does seem to have a bigger bottom end, but that could be headroom, or the larger cab.

Edited by Roland Rock

Shuttlemax 12.2 here.

I "upgraded" from the GBE750 so my opinion is a bit skewed but; I have never played through an amp that is so versatile a doesn't resort to gimmicky effects to get there.

I run it through a 112 berg or 2 x 112 bergs or a 212 berg or all of them!

With all the speaker configurations I have available it's loud, clear and warm.

Never tried the EA stuff so I can't comment on that but I'd say that there isn't a better amp (for me) then then Genz.

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1385208422' post='2285594']
Shuttlemax 12.2 here.

I "upgraded" from the GBE750 so my opinion is a bit skewed but; I have never played through an amp that is so versatile a doesn't resort to gimmicky effects to get there.

I run it through a 112 berg or 2 x 112 bergs or a 212 berg or all of them!

With all the speaker configurations I have available it's loud, clear and warm.

Never tried the EA stuff so I can't comment on that but I'd say that there isn't a better amp (for me) then then Genz.
[/quote]
That's one of the best and most versatile rigs i have heard of anyone having on bass chat, brilliant!

@dave - what kinda sounds do you get? I would like to be able to get a warm tube tone and a nice rock tone.

Currently use a gsllien 1001rbii as my main amp am a tech 21 vt pre am into the effects return for an ampeg like tone.

I am also thinking if the shuttle max with 2 x swr golight 112s

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1385300306' post='2286523']
@dave - what kinda sounds do you get? I would like to be able to get a warm tube tone and a nice rock tone.

Currently use a gsllien 1001rbii as my main amp am a tech 21 vt pre am into the effects return for an ampeg like tone.

I am also thinking if the shuttle max with 2 x swr golight 112s
[/quote]

I can get pretty much any sound I can imagine.

At the moment it's set up to fill the sound in a rock/metal band that has one guitarist. Very phat and prominent lows fairly flat to slightly scooped mids and a tiny boost on the highs for a bit of sparkle.

I have also had it set up will a very (valve distorted) middy sound for a punk band.

I will struggle to justify ever changing my rig, although a few hours of playing around with the settings and A/B testing against the CN series of cabs might convice me to reduce the weight a bit.