Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SG Copy, 34" scale set neck kit build.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Just purchased one of these to while away the Christmas period which I will be mostly alone for.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171149283159"]http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=171149283159[/url]

Annoyingly I was told after i bought the kit that the bridge was actually a 3 point one, which I didn't really want, but never mind!

The rout for the 3 point bridge has already been done, I will be tuning this bass drop C when finished so I need to try and make sure I have enough travel on the bridge to intonate the C correctly. Is there anything I can do with the nut to help this if I run into problems?

What say you guys about a finish? Could keep it natural, but I am very tempted by using some sort of wash/trans colour. Could go with Green! What recommendations would you guys give me regarding techniques and glue for the set neck part of the build?

R.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1385033783' post='2283593']
Well if the top's as nice as the one on the advert, then yeah, some sort of light stain or wash would look great!

Oh dear. I really want one for myself now!

Truckstop
[/quote]

I agree, it is a bit interesting to see a set neck SG kit doing the rounds!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1385033783' post='2283593']
Oh dear. I really want one for myself now!
[/quote]

Yep. Yep, I thought had no GAS, but mentally I seem to draw a distinction between "shop-bought guitar GAS" and "build your own guitar GAS."

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1385033616' post='2283590']
Annoyingly I was told after i bought the kit that the bridge was actually a 3 point one, which I didn't really want, but never mind!

The rout for the 3 point bridge has already been done, I will be tuning this bass drop C when finished so I need to try and make sure I have enough travel on the bridge to intonate the C correctly. Is there anything I can do with the nut to help this if I run into problems?

What say you guys about a finish? Could keep it natural, but I am very tempted by using some sort of wash/trans colour. Could go with Green! What recommendations would you guys give me regarding techniques and glue for the set neck part of the build?
[/quote]

First of all, just a quick question: have they confirmed that it's a 34" scale? Only, I've got the Epiphone SG bass in a 34" scale, and that has a 22-fret neck, and I notice this is only 20. (But then I know there's only 20 on your average P-bass, so I could be worryingly unduly.)

Have they actually routed for the 3-point bridge, or just drilled the holes? Again, I'm comparing to the Epiphone, but the bridge and tailpiece seem to be screwed straight into the top on mine, so you might be able to swap in a different bridge and...erm...cover up the holes. To be fair, the 3-point is a bit of a nuisance, but it's workable. Just be careful when you're changing strings as the moving parts have a tendency to fall out!

As for finish...I bet that maple top would look absolutely stunning if you French Polished it. Does require a lot of time and patience, though.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1385045638' post='2283799']
Yep. Yep, I thought had no GAS, but mentally I seem to draw a distinction between "shop-bought guitar GAS" and "build your own guitar GAS."

First of all, just a quick question: have they confirmed that it's a 34" scale? Only, I've got the Epiphone SG bass in a 34" scale, and that has a 22-fret neck, and I notice this is only 20. (But then I know there's only 20 on your average P-bass, so I could be worryingly unduly.)

Have they actually routed for the 3-point bridge, or just drilled the holes? Again, I'm comparing to the Epiphone, but the bridge and tailpiece seem to be screwed straight into the top on mine, so you might be able to swap in a different bridge and...erm...cover up the holes. To be fair, the 3-point is a bit of a nuisance, but it's workable. Just be careful when you're changing strings as the moving parts have a tendency to fall out!

As for finish...I bet that maple top would look absolutely stunning if you French Polished it. Does require a lot of time and patience, though.
[/quote]

I was not sure about the scale length either, but I emailed them and confirmed that yes it is 34" scale. The Gibson EB4L is long scale but only has 20 frets.

3 point bridge is already routed for. Biggest worry right now is gluing the neck on straight!

Edited by Shockwave

Any joy with the seller? Gibson use [url="http://www.franklinadhesivesandpolymers.com/Wood-Adhesives-US/Wood-Adhesives/Product-Family/Titebond-Family/Titebond-50.aspx"]Franklin Titebond 50[/url] to glue in necks. Plus you'd need a tape measure, pencil and a clamp.

I found this, which looks fairly straight forward..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJC2ICVGkh4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJC2ICVGkh4[/url]