Why become a member? ×

1964 Epiphone Rivoli (EB-232) Sunburst w/ Tortoise pickguard, £1400
£1800

sam-davies

This is my 1964 Epiphone Rivoli (EB-232). I bought it from Chandler Guitars in Kew in August 2012. I don't have the original hard case, just a gig bag unfortunately.

Here's the original spec from the Epiphone catalogue:

[b]Body dimensions: 16"x19"x1[sup]3[/sup]/[sub]4[/sub]"[/b]
[b]Double cutaway[/b]
[b]Scale: 30[sup]1[/sup]/[sub]2[/sub]"[/b]

[b]Frets: 20[/b]
[b]Body joins neck at: 18th[/b]
[b]Pickup: single (Alnico magnetic, according to catalogue) [/b]
[b]Switch: 'Presence Switch' (switches between a baritone and bass characteristic)[/b]

[b]Bridge: metalbar[/b]
[b]Wood: maple[/b]
[b]Fretboard: rosewood[/b]

Information is a bit scarcer than the EB-2 but it's pretty much the same bass. The Rivoli had a choice of a black pickguard with the Epiphone 'E' on it or a tortoise one without the logo. As you can see from the photos there has been an access panel added in the back. This is likely to be because of needing the wiring sorted at some point.

I don't know huge amounts about the bass, I'm no expert by any means just know when something sounds good. As soon as I tried it in the shop I knew it was a good tone and good instrument to play. It has obviously been played a lot over the years which adds to its charm in my opinion.

[color=#ff0000][b]Looking for £1400. (Can't change the listing price). [/b][/color]It's up for sale because I can't afford to keep both this and my Stingray 5 so whichever goes first. Any questions welcome. Possibly open to trade offers.

I will ship if necessary but would rather a collection/local delivery as it doesn't have a hard case. I live near Hammersmith in London.

Edited by sam-davies

I had one of these back in the 70s. Sold it in 1981 for £100. I still remember the serial no 131618 if I am not mistaken. I thought I saw it once again, on television, played by the bass player for the Alarm. It was very distinctive, it had a P bass pickup added in the bridge position and a distinctive mark where the scratch plate should have been. I would be interested to hear what became of it if anyone knows anything.

Good luck with the sale.

[quote name='plankspanker' timestamp='1386249946' post='2297681']
I too had one of these in the 70's when they were unfashionable and foolishly added a bridge pickup thereby reducing the value by half when I sold it around ten years ago. Mine didn't have that access panel on the rear though - is that an after-market mod?
[/quote]

Yeah, it seems to be done to make it easier to access the wiring and tone switch. Hasn't affected the sound at all though.

Edited by sam-davies

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1388256042' post='2320097'] What does the switch do? Is that original? [/quote]

Epiphone called it their "presence switch". It switches between baritone and bassier tones. I found the original description from Epiphone here: http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/epiphone/catalogues/1961_13.php

'iiipopes' found this wiring diagram too: http://www.flyguitars.com/epiphone/bass/Rivoli_circuit.php

I'll amend the post to add in more information. :)

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1388255861' post='2320092']
Apologies, but I think it significantly affects the value, though.
[/quote]

This isn't a particularly helpful post mate. Are you suggesting it's overpriced or that I should edit the post to mention this modification?

[quote name='sam-davies' timestamp='1388265480' post='2320264']
This isn't a particularly helpful post mate. Are you suggesting it's overpriced or that I should edit the post to mention this modification?
[/quote]

The addition of the cover on the back is IMHO quite a sensible mod. It's not changed the aesthetic of the bass, and very much doubt it will change the sound. Although the presence of the cover might indicate it has had some work done to the inside. Collectors do like stuff like pots to be all original. Why don't you see if you can have the provenance of the electrics verified then all is up front and out in the open. But, TBH I don't think it's going to affect the value greatly. It's not like someone has butchered it and put in a jazz pup at the bridge. :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1388266348' post='2320279']
Why don't you see if you can have the provenance of the electrics verified then all is up front and out in the open.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. Do you have any suggestions of where to get this done in London? I've edited the post to give a bit more detail about the bass. :)

[quote name='sam-davies' timestamp='1388265480' post='2320264']
[/quote]

Sam - I'm sorry if I have offended you; that was not my intention in the slightest.
I had an EB2 with this "mod" in the past which caused some grief when I came to sell it even though the pots were original but some of the wiring wasn't.
A lot of punters who want this type of bass are seriously put off paying higher/mid range prices if the body of the bass has been cut in any way.

Billy Apple makes a lot of sense but I would suspect that you'll get offers that are a bit lower than you're asking.

IMHO of course.

Try Andy Baxter Bass in London for some advice. :)

Edited by Jazzneck

Definitely not offended, just got a bit worried I'd done something wrong and needed some advice with what to do. I bought the bass (probably naively) just on how it played and sounded, not the details.

Thanks for letting me know about Andy Baxter Bass. I'll take it in when I get back to London. :)