Why become a member? ×

Incoming.....

TheRev

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1384601635' post='2278536']
Just about to go pick up a 3/4 fully carved Romanian bass that I got for a bit of a bargain on fleabay.
One careful owner, bought new in 1982 and free of any cracks or major dinks.
I'm quite excited!
[/quote]

Happiness! Early xmas pressie to self?

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1384614599' post='2278770']

Happiness! Early xmas pressie to self?
[/quote]

Sort of - baby Rev will be arriving in 4 weeks, so its my last chance to buy something before all my money is spent on nappies...

Thanks everyone!

I've mentioned 'Trev' to Mrs Rev and she said things that would get me banned if I repeated them, so I think we'll have to leave that idea on the back burner for now.

Loving the DB babygrow! We've got a few music related ones already ('My dad's in the band' and one covered in those litte tiny basses with six strings) but that has got to be the one to have!

Anyway, on with more important things; my new bass.

As I said, it's a Romanian bass labelled as a Michael Poller. As far as I can work out, this was a brand name for basses produced by the then state-owned factory in Reghin (now producing Hora basses).
It was bought new in 1982 and used by the owner in big band and jazz trios right up to his death 7 years ago. His wife kept hold of the bass hoping that their granddaughters might want to play it, but hen that failed to happen she passed it to the sax player from her husband's band to sell on ebay and now it's with me. The previous owner's widow actually phoned me on Monday to say how happy she was that the bass had gone to someone who was going to play it, which I thought was very sweet.

[url="http://s22.photobucket.com/user/RevDave/media/P1050891.jpg.html"][/url]

It's got what looks like a spruce top (pressed, not carved as I originally thought :( ) with maple ribs and (flat) back. although the edges are a tad 'foxed' (and possibly badgered), the top and seams are all solid and crack free.

[url="http://s22.photobucket.com/user/RevDave/media/P1050893.jpg.html"][/url]

I've bought this partly to use as a jazz bass and partly to use as the bass to work on improving my technique. Much as I love Jayne, my 50's ply, it sounds a bit choked once you get into thumb position which makes it a bit more difficult to intonate properly. Just tapping the top of this bass, you can clearly hear how much more resonance it has compared to the laminate. Nice.

I've swapped the medium Spiros that the bass came with for my usual Velvet Garbos. This was primarily for reasons of string tension, but I suspect that the Spiros suit this bass better so I'll probably swap back, once I have the action lowered a bit (or man up, whichever comes first...)

Those of you interested in such things will notice that it's wearing a Fishman BP100 pickup. These pickups are much derided by almost everyone, but it doesn't actually sound that bad at low volume. Admittedly it's a bit 'electric' sounding, but that can work in your favour and can be treated with a decent EQ. I'll be taking it out to rehearsal tonight to see what it really sounds at a working volume.

Dave

Just had a poke around the f holes and it's hard to say, the centre is quite curved and fairly thin behind the bridge area which would suggest pressed from a single sheet but the edges feel like a different contour from the front more consistent with it bring scooped out for want of a better term? Just checked on the gedo site and they are listed as half carved but maybe one mans carved is another mans as long as it's not ply and has been carved after pressing for it's final fit?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384982344' post='2283198']
Just had a poke around the f holes and it's hard to say, the centre is quite curved and fairly thin behind the bridge area which would suggest pressed from a single sheet but the edges feel like a different contour from the front more consistent with it bring scooped out for want of a better term? Just checked on the gedo site and they are listed as half carved but maybe one mans carved is another mans as long as it's not ply and has been carved after pressing for it's final fit?
[/quote]

I think half carved usually means that the top is carved and the back and ribs will be laminate, I think :s

Nice bass Rev, whats that black rectangle thing that looks like its bolted to the belly under the bridge?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384982344' post='2283198']
[/quote]

If Gedo say it's half carved then, as Alexpea says, it means that the top is carved but the back and sides are laminate. I gave mine a good probing last night and i think I can fell tooling marks, which suggests that the top is indeed carved. I also checked out a couple of bass carving vids on youtube and they do carve a hollow under the bridge area.

[quote name='yanto' timestamp='1385024142' post='2283456']
I've got one exactly the same but paid £1200! £586 just p****s me off :angry: :D
Enjoy it
[/quote]

Blimey - you've done a bit of detective work! Yes, I did get a bit of a bargain :), but I have been keeping an eye out for a carved bass for almost a year!

[quote name='alexpea' timestamp='1385028027' post='2283502']

Nice bass Rev, whats that black rectangle thing that looks like its bolted to the belly under the bridge?
[/quote]

Cheers! The rectangular thing is a bow quiver. It's actually tied to the tailpiece.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1384968416' post='2282942']
NIce one! Let us know how she sounds.
[/quote]

Rather good as it happens. I took it to rehearsal with my jazz/soul trio last night. I normally use my Eminence EUB with this band, but I thought I'd bring the newbie along to see how I got on with it....and I played it for the whole of the rehearsal. Tons of depth and presence on the D & G- I could even hear what I was playing in the my solos. This seemed like a good thing until I realised that I could now clearly hear how ropey my intonation was.
The BP100 pickup is OK, not brilliant but not awful either. It's definitley giggable but I think I'll be trying a few different pickups as there is a bit of an annoying mid-honk that I couldn't EQ out.

I enjoyed playing it so much at the rehearsal that I've decided to use it on my gig tomorrow night.

[quote name='alexpea' timestamp='1385028027' post='2283502']

I think half carved usually means that the top is carved and the back and ribs will be laminate, I think :s

[/quote]
I just realised my post was a bit confusing, i know the back and sides are ply, i wasn't thinking the front was half carved as in partly pressed then partly carved.

I quite like the scuffed edges on your bass TheRev, as long as it's structurally sound i think it gives it a bit of a story to tell :)

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1385039106' post='2283676']
Cheers! The rectangular thing is a bow quiver. It's actually tied to the tailpiece.

[/quote]

Lol not the quiver, I think the what i was looking at could just be a reflection tbh :unsure:

Edited by alexpea

[quote name='alexpea' timestamp='1385042806' post='2283752']

Lol not the quiver, I think the what i was looking at could just be a reflection tbh :unsure:
[/quote]

Ah - You mean the little rectangle on the bridge foot? It's a little clip-on tuner!

Piccie of the first outing on Friday night:

The BP100 pickup was, er, challenging to work with to say the least. I did manage to get a workable sound by judicious use of the noth filter on my amp but it was just that - workable. About three numbers from the end of the gig I remembered that I had slipped my Bassmax pickup into the gig bag 'just in case'...... Numpty.

To make up for for being such an idiot I spent most of Sunday playing along with Danny Thompson recordings.