Why become a member? ×

Amp/ speaker help please

tall_martin

Hi,

I could do with a wee bit of help with my amps and cabs.

I'm looking for an amp to run into my pair of 210 8ohm cabs that will be louder than an ashdown superfly or ashdown 300 evo.

Under £350 second hand, small and light- similar size and weight to the superfly amp if possible.

Or, is it possible to turn the pair of 8 ohm cabs into 2ohm cabs with the right speakers? Under £200 for new speakers.

I joined the band and bought an ashdown 210 300 evo combo, it never went quite loud enough so I bought a hartke xl 210 cab to go with it. Its became apparent that the combo was a pain to hump about and the cab was a breeze. So I made a box for the amp, and separated it from the cab. It was easier to shift but the combo/cab was an awkward shape to fit into the car. So I bought another hartke 210. in the mean time i aquired a superfly cab in a trade. It goes to 500w, but only at 2ohms. Its only just loud enough to keep up with my drummer.

We are a 5 peice, 2 guitars, bass, synth, drums, 3 vocals, and we play inde rock originals and covers.

Cheers

Martin

Have a look for a Markbass LM II - should be able to get one for well inside your budget. You might be lucky and find an F1 or an LMIII for that money

All chuck out 500W @ 4ohm and are seriously punchy heads, but run quite clean.

Grit it up a bit with an Orange TB500 - tons of fat noise - I love mine, and I've had an LMII and an F1

[quote name='tall_martin' timestamp='1384298086' post='2275083']
After a read of the ashdown web site the super fly runs at 500w at 4ohms, not 2. How do i tell how they are wired? I've got a multi meter, just no idea about how to use it to test how they are wired.

The genz does look perfect though if its not possible to switch it up.

Cheers
Martin
[/quote]

Unfortunately it's not possible to wire an 8 ohm cab with two speakers to 4 ohms.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1384350264' post='2275539']
Unfortunately it's not possible to wire an 8 ohm cab with two speakers to 4 ohms.
[/quote]

Huh? Didn't the OP say "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]pair of 8 ohm cabs", in which case two in parallel is 4ohms?[/font][/color]

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1384355327' post='2275618']
Huh? Didn't the OP say "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]pair of 8 ohm cabs", in which case two in parallel is 4ohms?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I'm not sure the OP was as clear as that... :huh:

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1384355327' post='2275618']
[/quote]
Yep, but unless I'm mistaken the Superfly is a 2 x 250w amp and to get the full 500w he'd need 4 ohms on each channel.
[quote name='tall_martin' timestamp='1384369339' post='2275850']
Hi,

the cabs are both 210's that say 8ohm on the back. Can I replace the speakers to make a pair of 4ohm cabs?

Cheers
[/quote]
You can replace the speakers but you're then into finding speakers that suit a sealed cab of that size without really knowing if you'd prefer the sound of the original speakers. With the cost of 4 halfway decent speakers you'd probably be better off selling the Superfly and putting it towards another amp.