Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors. What do you have in yours?

Guest MoJo

As a recent convert to IEMs, I'm convinced that it's the way to go for my party band. We only have four auxiliary outputs from our desk. One feeds our vocalists monitors, a second the BVs for the keyboard player and guitarist, the third feeds the fx unit and the last is used for the drummers in-ears. He has an overall mix of the band and I've plugged into his headphone amp for the last couple of gigs but, to be honest there's not enough of me in his mix. All I really want in my in-ears is the bass and my BVs. I can hear enough of the band without having them in my headphones, rather like wearing ear plugs at a gig. I've seen an ART unit that will do the job but I was curious to find out what everyone else has in their IEMs

Edited by MoJo

Whole band in my ears with my own individual mix. I have my own vocal and bass high in the mix with the rest of the band mixed to taste. I run stereo iems so have singers panned between left and right, stereo keys and have a slight bias on bass and snare to lock into. I run seperate fx for my ears mix so have compressors and reverb to taste.

The isolation provided by your iems may influence your mix. For example, my IEMs mean I can only hear what Ive mixed in as the attenuation is too great to liken my experience to wearing ear plugs.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1384004999' post='2271790']
Whole band in my ears with my own individual mix. I have my own vocal and bass high in the mix with the rest of the band mixed to taste. I run stereo iems so have singers panned between left and right, stereo keys and have a slight bias on bass and snare to lock into. I run seperate fx for my ears mix so have compressors and reverb to taste.

The isolation provided by your iems may influence your mix. For example, my IEMs mean I can only hear what Ive mixed in as the attenuation is too great to liken my experience to wearing ear plugs.
[/quote]

That would probably be the ideal but impossible with our limited number of auxiliaries

Edited by MoJo

Quite a few headphone amps have an inject feature whereby you can balance the main mix with say a split from your bass d.i.
If you need more,then apart from upgrading to a better desk you can split your Vox and bass into a small 6 chan micro desk and mix them with the aux mix of kit, rest of band etc
Only takes a couple of Y splits and the desk.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1384004999' post='2271790']

[/quote]

Ace. That's just showing off lol. ;-)

I don't really care about hearing my bass but I must get a good level of my own vocal. I can usually hear the rest of the band just fine on stage I just want to hear my vocal properly.

When I'm playing DB it's different I need to hear the bass in the mix too otherwise it's difficult to play confidently. Nine out of ten gigs on double bass I can't hear my bass at all...

We all have our own mix. Our guitarists converted an old 19" Alesis mixer with a lot of AUX outputs to a monitor mixer and it works like a charm. I have the full band on my monitors, but mostly kick, snare and our backing track (we don't have a keyboardist with us on stage, but we do have lots of keys) with clicktrack and a bit of vocals and guitars. We play without cabinets on-stage, so the monitor mix and drums are all I have to rely on. Works well so far.