Why become a member? ×

musicman humbucker angle

dub

I just removed two of the springs underneath the humbucker on my musicman to lower it on the bridge side.

This produced more bottom end and less high mid which was a great improvement in the tone to my ears.

If you want to give it a try, just angle your pickup without removing any springs as that only makes a couple of mm difference.

My bass is a late 80's ernie ball stingray 5 so the pole pieces aren't staggered.

[quote name='ahpook' post='225245' date='Jun 23 2008, 06:49 PM']are the pole pieces on the pickup staggered ?

just curious...they are on my sabre[/quote]

• 1 month later...

After trying this out for a while, I've put the springs back, as I disconnected my preamp and liked the passive tone.
The preamp added a huge amount of top end (and hiss) so with that gone I needed a bit more top and set the pickup flat again.
It was worth the experiment though.

[quote name='ahpook' post='225245' date='Jun 23 2008, 06:49 PM']are the pole pieces on the pickup staggered ?

just curious...they are on my sabre[/quote]
They are on my SUB bass, i found that lifting up the treble end up a bit made the higher strings a bit louder, obviously, but they were a bit quiet before. You might as well make the bass your own!