Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II 'Precise' bass?

Maude

I was just watching this on ebay as it's only just down the road from me, it was at £19 with less than a minute to go and I thought it might be a fun project. The price jumped up at the last minute and I didn't really want to spend that much (although it may well be worth it) so left it.

But as I have little to no knowledge of these Aria 'law suit' basses I was wondering if any of you could enlighten me as to what it is, was or should be?
The name suggests a Precision copy but it's a jazz, albeit with a strangely fitted P sized fretboard. Is it just that or do you think it's just the neck and neck plate which are original?
If I could have got it for £50 I wouldn't have worried anyway but I'm just curious.
I think it would've looked awesome with a maple fretboard fitted, a black pickguard and just cleaned up enough not to be a health hazard :D .

Here it is [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aria-Pro-Bass-/281196519164?autorefresh=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=DUbpb%252Bvta2iK0Qcx5moLBDWqTxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aria-Pro-Bass-/281196519164?autorefresh=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=DUbpb%252Bvta2iK0Qcx5moLBDWqTxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc[/url]

BTW, was it anyone on here that got it?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1383510708' post='2265348']
Interesting tuner configuration.
[/quote]

Yeah, there's definitely some 'interesting' mods on it.
I still can't believe someone would stick an oversized fretboard on a neck, that overhang must be horrible to play with.

Although it does imply a guitarist did the mods so maybe not so strange after all :ph34r: :D

Sorry mate - it was me!

I got it for £73 - my max bid was £75 so £103 in all.

I have a hankering for a jazz bass reminiscent of an old '61 precision that I used to own - it had been stripped of finish as was the stylee in the early '70s, was beat about and felt like a comfy old pair of slippers to play if you know what I mean.

I feel that the Jap basses of the mid '70s to mid '80s are every bit as good as the '60s Fenders so the basis for my project was always going to come from there but I would always nowadays feel a bit guilty to get a nice Tokai/Aria/Ibanez/Antoria/Squier and then destroy the original finish etc.

So this fits the bill - all the destruction has already been done and what I will be doing is giving it a future as a viable instrument once again.

What is likely to happen is that fingerboard will either be trimmed down to size or replaced with one a bit darker looking and a worn tort scratchplate will go on together with reverse tuners. After that and I can see what it plays/ sounds like, I'll look at anything needed in the pickup/ electrics side of things. Oh, and it's likely to get stack pots as well!

Kind of looking forward to it and I'll let y'all know of progress when it arrives hopefully in one piece!!

Cheers

Ed