Why become a member? ×

Using mixer inserts for outboard graphic equaliser

mep

I hope someone enlighten me about using mixer inserts to connect and outboard graphic equaliser.

Our band has a Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO mixer which is great and has plenty of features, except an on-board graphic eq. As it's the top of the this range that is to be expected as most people will use an external eq and can be flexible about what is used. I have got hold of a cheap second hand Behringer MINI FBQ800 to see if it can help tweek our sound. I didn't want to go down the rack mounted route at the moment as we don't have any spare rack space and are only a local pub band, so this seems a good way to explore using a graphic equaiser and it fit's nicely in our wireless microphone hard case.

There are 2 ways to connect it and running it in between the mixer and amp is easy enough and seems to work fine. I tried to connect it using the mixer inserts as an alternative option and have not got a result, and searching on line has not really helped. Both manuals do not give an example of a wiring diagram when using the insertion path of mixers. On the back of the mixer are the 2 main L & R inserts which according to the manual "are the main insert points for the main mix. In the signal path they are post-main mix amp, but pre-main faders. Use them to insert, for example, a dynamics processor or graphic equaliser". Also on the back of the mixer are the main outputs, which consist of balanced XLR's & 1/4" jacks.

What I could really do with is a simple wiring diagram /description of how to wire up the mixer and EQ using this insertion method. I presume the Main Inserts are used to connect but how and that seems to be only half the story as the EQ has an input and output.

the insterts should be a stereo jack socket which provides the in and out on the same jack
you need a y jack lead for each channel (stereo to 2xmono)
connect the stereo end to your instert jacks on the mixer and the other end to the ins and outs on the EQ
on the mixer (or in the manual)it should say wether its the tip or the ring that is the send or return so you can get it the right way around.

Edited by winterfire666

You just need 2 of these insert leads: [url="http://www.studiospares.com/leads-insert/stjk-2xmonojk-2m/invt/574010"]http://www.studiospares.com/leads-insert/stjk-2xmonojk-2m/invt/574010[/url]

your mixer inserts are TRS (tip/ring/sleve) which is tip=send and ring=return

Plug the stereo jack of the insert lead into mixer channel insert, then the mono jack marked tip into input of Eq and the jack marked ring into the output of Eq

Thanks guys. Once again Basschat has come to the rescue.

It all makes sense now. This is the first time I have had this option available. Both manuals have cable connections diagrams but none show the use of a cable as you have described with those connections at each end!

At present I have plenty of 1.5m long jack patch leads (balanced & unbalanced) to run it in between the mixer and amp. I do have a variety of leads and connectors to rustle up the leads as described to try the insert route out, but these are not as long.

As an aide-memoire, incidentally, R = Right, Ring, Return, and Red. With a lead splitter, you should get a stereo jack to two monos, one of which will be red, the other either white or black. For stereo into two mono channels, Red is Right. For a TRS insert, Red is Return. And Red connects to the Ring.