Why become a member? ×

Advice required

FinnDave

I need some advice on behalf of the band I play in, and hope that others who have been in this situation are able to share their knowledge & experience.

Band has been together only 6 months, played 17 gigs, but is already producing a good tight sound. We play a mixture of blues standards, some obscure blues and a few standard covers. One original song.

I was approached after a recent gig by someone claiming to work with several internationally known bands who said he thought our music and style would make us ideal for opening some of the gigs these bands play. I talked with him for half an hour or so, gave him a business card and copy of our CD and that was that.

This chap phoned me this morning saying that a member of one of the above bands (have to be vague for obvious reasons) likes the CD and is interested in using us. All I know at this stage is that we might have to travel (whether this means UK or international is unknown) and we'd be playing 'much bigger places than pubs'.

Can anyone suggest what sort of precautions we should take, how much we can reasonably expect to get paid, etc. Two members of our band work full time so need to know whether it is worth taking extended leave, etc.

All advice gratefully received.
Thanks,
Dave

+1

There's some nice bait being dangled but a lot of support bands are asked to pay to play, so be aware of that.

You should be looking to make something out of this, but you need to cover[i] all [/i]expenses at the very least.

Is your backline up to the job?

Thanks for the advice, I plan to proceed with caution. Not interested in paying to play, but so long as get something out of it, we'll be happy to have the experience.

Backline kit should be OK, mine is ABM 500 and Barefaced super twin, need to discuss this with the rest of the band.

Should be meeting the person who initiated this sometime this week, possibly also the well-known band member he works for.

I'd want to see some sort of draft contract.

[url="http://www.docracy.com/5972/band-performance-contract"]http://www.docracy.com/5972/band-performance-contract[/url]

I know this may be a bit OTT but it may be an idea to get something similar if people are considering taking time out of regular work.