Why become a member? ×

WIN !!!! - I have an electro acoustic for this Saturday

The Dark Lord

I'm playing a party in a pub function room this Saturday.

And I need an electro acoustic for the gig. I used to have a Fender Kingman, but sold it on here!

Can anyone on here help by lending me one - or even telling me where I can hire one anywhere from Southampton to Worthing?

We have finally convinced the landlady that she doesn't need a licence for a three-piece for this gig. She has said okay, just so long as we play "those acoustic guitars that you plug in. None of them, electric ones". Aaaaaaaargh.

Or is there somewhere I can buy a low value one?

After putting all this effort in, we really want to do the gig, and I don't want to be the 2nd six strng acoustic player.

For the sake of bass playing integrity - I need some help

Edited by The Dark Lord

Hooray. I needed to get a hold of an electro acoustic bass for a party gig this weekend as the landlady, at the last minute, has banned "electric" guitars.

I used to have a Fender Kingman (pretty cool, sound good and good value) but sold it on here.

I was looking for loaners and also hire shops ...... but then came across one on Gear 4 Music. For !!!!!!!!! £95 plus postage (I paid £5.66 for the next days service).

Main thing was, they offer a money back if you don't like it within 14 days. So I thought, what is there to lose. If it's really terrible, it'll probably still get me through the gig. It's a three-piece and paying £300 - so the gig fee covers the bass!

It has arrived. And do you know what? ........ It's fine. Plays alright, neck feels good, no buzzing, nothing looks wonky .... in fact, it's quite handsome looking.

I haven't plugged it in yet and don't expect the best ever sound - acoustic basses tend to sound "thuddy" anyway, so as long as it makes low notes, I won't be bothered.

Of course, an electro-acoustic bass won't necessarily sound any quieter than an electric bass when plugged in - but I won't mention that to the landlady. I'm sure the acoustic look of the thing will calm her fears at least psychologically.

A win in my book.

[attachment=146865:acoustic.jpg]

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1382699628' post='2255556']
I'm not sure what type of music you play, but prepare for the feedback. I use to own a few acoustic bass for church use and because the church music require low deep bass note (simple stuff), i actually have problem with feedback when sustaining a note .....
[/quote]

Yep. Thanks for the tip. That is one of those things that really need to be watched with amplified acoustic bass I know. I'm fully aware that acoustic will give feedback problems - plus a budget bass might not help that. I have a sound hole cover that I can use - which will help a teeny bit.

Thing is, I'm sure we're going to be asked to play sooooo quietly, that the feedback issue will be lessened. But I do take your point.

We play uptempo pop songs which sound a bit like they would sound if The Stranglers were doing covers of them like: Disco 2000, Happy Hour by The Housemartins, Stand and Deliver, Video Killed the Radio Star, Park Life, Mamma Mia etc.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1382698999' post='2255547']
Win.

I've wanted an acoustic bass for ages, but haven't bought one - the only one that's grabbed my attention is a Kinal - too expensive for playing at home!
[/quote]
Nice Warwick Alien going here!