Why become a member? ×

The Vintage Bass Market

spongebob

Been looking at the classifieds and Ebay recently, and there seems to be quite a few vintage basses going for very good prices indeed.

Over the weekend, a '74 Ricky 4001 with case, went for about £960. It wasn't one of the collection only items either - the seller would post. A couple of years back, you wouldn't get much change for £1600 plus. Now they're less than a new one!

Are people still interested as ever in 'vintage'? New Fender's etc., are still selling for more than some older ones, so the money is still circulating.

Just wondering if any BC'ers actively only play exclusively 'old' (say 30 years older or more) against newer? It looks like it's never been a better time to buy. I've been tempted (had a couple of older ones myself) but always worried about electrics and the like failing at a gig...... :blush:[size=4] [/size]

Both my basses are 70s but I recently bought a Squier as I wanted a cheaper bass. So I did exclusively play older kit until a couple of months ago and didn't worry about reliability. I noticed a change in the market too and stuff certainly isn't going for the price it would have done around 2009. I think it is down to the recession. There is still a huge demand for vintage stuff but it just can't command the same prices. I think offering collection only etc impacts on price though. It's dipped a bit but not massively. The examples like that Rickenbacker are not the norm but they are increasingly common.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1382459263' post='2252420']
Been looking at the classifieds and Ebay recently, and there seems to be quite a few vintage basses going for very good prices indeed.

Over the weekend, a '74 Ricky 4001 with case, went for about £960. It wasn't one of the collection only items either - the seller would post. A couple of years back, you wouldn't get much change for £1600 plus. Now they're less than a new one!

Are people still interested as ever in 'vintage'? New Fender's etc., are still selling for more than some older ones, so the money is still circulating.

Just wondering if any BC'ers actively only play exclusively 'old' (say 30 years older or more) against newer? It looks like it's never been a better time to buy. I've been tempted (had a couple of older ones myself) but always worried about electrics and the like failing at a gig...... :blush:
[/quote]

I am currently gigging my 1964 fender Jazz. Its a refinish with the bridge pick up having been rewound. Its a cracking bass, has never let me down and a keeper. I also have a Sadowsky NYC and this is also a beauty, very different from the Fender. Both hold their own in a different kind of way. It appears your correct about the falling prices of vintage instruments. Check this [url="http://www.someneckguitars.com/products/fender-jazz-1964"]http://www.someneckguitars.com/products/fender-jazz-1964[/url]( I see your location is Mayo on occasions-- I am originally from Ballina but am now in exile here in Galway :)

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1382483193' post='2252840']
I see your location is Mayo on occasions-- I am originally from Ballina but am now in exile here in Galway :)
[/quote]

Indeed - Kiltimagh to be exact! I've been going over since I can remember.....I was born there (Mayo), have family outside Castlebar (near Manulla and beyond), but grew up in the UK. Can't afford to go over full-time yet, and my house there is a work in progress!

Naturally, I've been to Ballina, and have also visited Galway a few years back. Great city, bit livelier than rural Mayo! :)

[size=4]If I could get the work, I'd be there tomorrow - and as soon as my job here goes (which it may well), then it'll force me to get the house finished....just need a few extra Euro first....... :o[/size]

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1382544922' post='2253492']
Indeed - Kiltimagh to be exact! I've been going over since I can remember.....I was born there (Mayo), have family outside Castlebar (near Manulla and beyond), but grew up in the UK. Can't afford to go over full-time yet, and my house there is a work in progress!

Naturally, I've been to Ballina, and have also visited Galway a few years back. Great city, bit livelier than rural Mayo! :)

If I could get the work, I'd be there tomorrow - and as soon as my job here goes (which it may well), then it'll force me to get the house finished....just need a few extra Euro first....... :o
[/quote]

Very little work available in Mayo unfortunately. Not much better here in Galway. The country is on its knees right now, so any notions of relocation should be given consideration. :(