Why become a member? ×

DR Signature Strings

molan

I spotted recently that DR have added Jonas Hellborg signature strings to their Marcus Miller & Bootsy Collins sets!

Just wondered if anyone had tried any of these and, if so, whether they were really any different from the standard sets?

I fancy the Bootzilla's myself :)

[i]The costly stainless steel wrap wire used to manufacture Bootzillas is unique. It produces a disctinct crunchy tone.
Bootzillas bass strings are coated for extra protection against damaging sunstances such as perspiration, dirt, humidy, and
acid hands. The stainless steel is imported from europe and provides an edgier tone than standard domestic stainless
steel.[/i]

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='223871' date='Jun 21 2008, 10:35 PM']They're available from stringbusters and stringsdirect from the end of the month.

Only available as a 4 string set though unfortunately.[/quote]

To be honest I'd probably just import some from the US if I decided to buy any. Must be close to half price compared to UK prices.

Bootzillas listing at StringsDirect at £34.95 a set compared to $29.99 in the States.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='223871' date='Jun 21 2008, 10:35 PM']They're available from stringbusters and stringsdirect from the end of the month.

Only available as a 4 string set though unfortunately.[/quote]

Neither are listing Jonas Hellborg yet...anywhere else?

Edited by bremen

I've used the Marcus Miller ones and they are great strings. DR's are my 1st choice of strings apart from the cost, sound great, play nicely and last for ages.

Unfortunatley the cost (in this country) is prohibitive so I usually wind up with Rotosounds. :)

[quote name='gilmour' post='236687' date='Jul 10 2008, 04:57 PM']I've used the Marcus Miller ones and they are great strings. DR's are my 1st choice of strings apart from the cost, sound great, play nicely and last for ages.

Unfortunatley the cost (in this country) is prohibitive so I usually wind up with Rotosounds. :)[/quote]

Ditto, except I use Elixirs on some basses. I dislike Rotos as I kill them too quickly.

I've tried the Bootzilas (5 sets) and I highly disliked them. Sticky and muted.

The Jonas Hellborg are really worth every penny. I put them on my Dingwall Super PJ: Full sounding (not dull or thumby), great singing mids, full bodied highs (not harsh, nor brittle). Toasted you'd never sold it hd you tried them!!!