Why become a member? ×

Me'Shell Ndegéocello Remake and Jam! [Video]

BenTunnicliffe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1gI3yyg6c&list=PLReCuhYS9zOuudL1gdYL3WHLpCbnIUyc_&index=1

New video just uploaded to my Youtube account in trying to get back on with regular uploads.

Just some effect-less pocket playing (hopefully!) over a groove I put together based on Me'Shell's tune 'The Womb' which I always thought was an insanely strong opening to her Peace Beyond Passion album.

Always looking for feedback on the mixes and bass tone etc.

All the gear nerds I was running my Overwater Perception Pro Deluxe 5 straight into an Avalon U5 and monitoring it all from the thru into my Aguilar but there was no mic on the cab at all.
Mix of live percussion and sequenced stuff going on; myself failing miserably on a Nord Rhodes patch namely!

Always looking to become more of a part of a larger community of musicians if anyone's got their own YT page they want to send my way!

Cheers,
B

Fab Ben, you've got some really nice licks there, sounds and feels really nice.
Some fine point critical analysis if you fancy it, and I'd like to be careful to say it's something I work on and make mental notes about in my own playing, so it's more a chat about the subject than me telling you what I think as if I know better B)
Note length dude! especially with a spacious piece like this, where your note ends can be as important to the groove as where it starts, and it occurred to me in a few places that you're coming off the note a tad early.

Nicely played. Nice sound. And indeed a great bass face! :) (way better than mine).

I really like that you play just enough - no unnecessary frills - when I know you have the chops to bust loose when you want to. Good restraint that really works on this track. Nice groove too.

Well done.

Yes another vote for - a great bass face! Great restrain & great flow :)
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kjon51/media/NormanWatt-Roybassface_zps26432397.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/NormanWatt-Roybassface_zps26432397.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thanks guys it all means a lot and I'm particularly proud that all the countless hours I spend in front of a mirror practising a rich variety of grimaces to incorporate into my playing hasn't gone unnoticed :lol: .

All seriousness i do really appreciate the compliments.

Jake - I agree mate. In all honesty I do take a very blunt approach when it comes to analysing my own playing and I am definitely of the approach that no aspect is too small to not be looked at in detail.
That said though with these videos I'm finding it more an exercise in having the self confidence to just take a stark snapshot, no edits, one of the first couple of takes and then just lumping it online as an honest representation of how I sounded that exact second, as if it was a gig. I haven't watched the video yet!
When I'm recording for clients obviously it's a different matter and an entirely different approach but I'm glad you pointed that out, I'll be chucking some note length shedding in today and I hope it shows in whatever I play next!

Cheers guys! [b]B[/b]