Why become a member? ×

Children of Bodom Gig

Jonnyboy Rotten

Went to a gig at the O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire to see Children of Bodom on Tuesday night They were supported by Napalm Death plus Insomnium (who I am gutted I missed) and another band I never heard off.

Napalm Death were not great - I remember hearing a CD of theirs years ago and thinking they don't seem to be very exciting and their music is very mediocre. But hey, I thought, they are probably great live as they have such a following.

Saw them on Tuesday and they were very disappointing. They seem like they are just heavy for the sake of being heavy. All their songs sounded the same and they were staunchly anti-this and anti-that but didn't mention anything that they were 'for'. There were timing issues with the drummer and it really just sounded like a bunch of teenagers in a garage who wanted to be \m/ metul yeah? \m/ :facepalm:

They were followed by Children of Bodom who I have only been introduced to recently and they clearly showed up the vast difference in musicality between ND and themselves. Very proficient musicians who produce a great sound together.

The only downer was that the sound in the O2 Empire sound was shockingly badly mixed. I don't know if their sound tech had gone deaf from the years working there.... oh well! I enjoyed myself! :)

I like Children of Bodom but live they don't do much for me to be honest - they play extremely tightly, but to me they lack the energy I'm really looking for at a gig, just been a by the numbers performance each time I've seen them. Still, good to know you enjoyed them, they've certainly got some cracking songs.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1382115037' post='2248256']
They seem like they are just heavy for the sake of being heavy. All their songs sounded the same and they were staunchly anti-this and anti-that but didn't mention anything that they were 'for'. There were timing issues with the drummer and it really just sounded like a bunch of teenagers in a garage who wanted to be \m/ metul yeah? \m/ :facepalm:
[/quote]

So, what you're saying is that you could have stayed in and read 'Off Topic' then? :rolleyes: