Why become a member? ×

Pairing heads with a cab

shybaldbuddhist

Hi all,

I'm having a crisis trying to decide on a new amp setup!

I'm currently looking to upgrade my amp and get a head and cab set up but I'm unsure on what to get that will work out with the cab I have.

I already own an Ashdown 210 cab rated 250w at 8ohms. I'm now looking at the Ampeg PF 500 head as I want something very portable. The problem I have with this is that the PF 500 puts out 350w at 8ohms which is 100w more than the cab can handle. Will this fry the cab if I push it too hard?

Another option is to sell the cab and get something with a higher impedance.

I've got about £500 to spend on the right head and cab, and I'm open to other makes of amp heads, just looking for something lightweight and powerful enough for shows without PA support.

I play in a rock covers band and a funk band so need something versatile and portable. I don't fancy having to take around two cabs to get enough volume without PA support.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

You're unlikely to be using the full power available from the PF500.
If you're careful it's not a problem.

As far as cabs go I would recommend two 1X12" for maximum versatility.
I'm not going to recommend specific cabs - I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions here. ;)

Edited by discreet

I had an Ashdown combo that was rated 575W into 4ohm, 350W into 8ohm, but the inbuilt speaker was rated at 300W RMS. Never had a problem.

However, the PF500 has had some reliability problems. There are quite a few options in the micro head market.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1381698042' post='2242619']
I had an Ashdown combo that was rated 575W into 4ohm, 350W into 8ohm, but the inbuilt speaker was rated at 300W RMS. Never had a problem.
[/quote]

Likewise, for several years I used a 15' Acoustic cab - rated 125W IIRC - with various amps capable of much more. Never had a problem - just use your ears, and turn stuff down if it sounds bad.

I had an Ashdown combo ...Never had a problem.
[/quote]

Really? It didn't catch fire or anything..? ;)[size=4] :)[/size]

[size=4][quote name='barkin' timestamp='1381698899' post='2242647'][/size]Never had a problem - just use your ears, and turn stuff down if it sounds bad.
[/quote]

Aye, there's the rub. I'm using two 400W 8 ohms cabs with an amp that's providing 1300W at 4 ohms.
It's very obvious when I'm overdoing it!

Edited by discreet

As others have said, providing you use your ears there shouldn`t be a problem. But, if you like the thought of the PF500, why not get the PF350? At 8ohms it puts out 250 watts so you`d be within the cabs capability ratings.

It depends on how loud your band is, but 250/300 watts is plenty - I use my Markbass combo which is a 1x12 on its own in one band (admittedly we have 2 bassists so not holding all the low-end) and I rarely get it above 2 or 3 on master volume. In my other bands where I`m the only bassist I add in a 1x12 ext cab so getting the full 500, but again only have the amp on 2 - I just have the ext cab for the greater depth of sound that it brings.

For rock covers and funk maybe Gallien Krueger MB amps if a rock grind and Flea type sounds are what you`re after. Or my usual recommendation, Markbass, a Little Mark 2 or 3 is within budget and will do both quite nicely.

However, the PF500 has had some reliability problems. There are quite a few options in the micro head market.
[/quote]

Yea I'm aware of these issues but the Ampeg seems to tick all the boxes for what I need. Any other suggestions for a 300w+ lightweight head for under £400?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for adding to it as it might be a bit off topic, but I'm about to buy a head tomorrow and I'm also looking at Ampeg, but I'm a bit worried as after doing a lot of research (literally hours online) I've come to a conclusion that Apmeg is not really that reliable anymore. Many people had problems with them and I want something that won't give up on me soon after purchase. My choices are between SVT 4 Pro and SVT 7 Pro - I'm also considering the Galliern Krueger 1001RB. I'm going to be using it mainly for a heavy sound but also some funk. Any advice?

[quote name='sebastian' timestamp='1383304552' post='2262821']
Sorry for adding to it as it might be a bit off topic, but I'm about to buy a head tomorrow and I'm also looking at Ampeg, but I'm a bit worried as after doing a lot of research (literally hours online) I've come to a conclusion that Apmeg is not really that reliable anymore. Many people had problems with them and I want something that won't give up on me soon after purchase. My choices are between SVT 4 Pro and SVT 7 Pro - I'm also considering the Galliern Krueger 1001RB. I'm going to be using it mainly for a heavy sound but also some funk. Any advice?
[/quote]
The SVT 7 Pro has had its problems too - its power amp is Class D like the PF500. There are always used SVT 3 Pro heads available on BC, I should know I'm still following the threads despite having just bought a Genz Benz!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1383305051' post='2262838']
The SVT 7 Pro has had its problems too - its power amp is Class D like the PF500. There are always used SVT 3 Pro heads available on BC, I should know I'm still following the threads despite having just bought a Genz Benz!
[/quote]

How's the Genz working for you? Also - if you don't mind me asking - what sort of style you're in?

An update from the OP.

I ended up getting the PF 350 which i have now returned for a refund for several reasons. The amp turned out to be underpowered for what i need, the limiter would kick in even at relatively low volumes. Also, the 'balanced' XLR on the back of the amp doesn't appear to be balanced at all. The signal into the PA was really hot even with the gain at 10 o'clock. And the lack of a pad meant i'd need to run it into a DI box.

These problems coupled with the reliability issues worried me enough to take up the 7 day returns policy of the shop.

I've now ordered a GK MB500. Fingers crossed it's better than the Ampeg!

[quote name='shybaldbuddhist' timestamp='1383319532' post='2263153']
An update from the OP.

I ended up getting the PF 350 which i have now returned for a refund for several reasons. The amp turned out to be underpowered for what i need, the limiter would kick in even at relatively low volumes. Also, the 'balanced' XLR on the back of the amp doesn't appear to be balanced at all. The signal into the PA was really hot even with the gain at 10 o'clock. And the lack of a pad meant i'd need to run it into a DI box.

These problems coupled with the reliability issues worried me enough to take up the 7 day returns policy of the shop.

I've now ordered a GK MB500. Fingers crossed it's better than the Ampeg!
[/quote]

I just got my GK Fusion 550 - it's a real beast and I was going to buy Ampeg SVT 4 Pro - but tried GK and it is just unreal - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.