Why become a member? ×

Valve EQ workings

Roland Rock

Both of my amps (Streamliner and all valve 100w) have valve-based EQ. No problems there, as they both sound great.

I don't normally fiddle with EQ much, but recently started playing around to get the best tone for various songs when recording. I was surprised at how much twiddling one eq knob could have an effect on the others. For example, totally cutting the treble seems to have a diminishing effect on the bass eq.
I could get a suitable tone easily enough, but it's more by trial and error, rather than a logical method.

So, is there a science behind what happens with valve EQ? Which one affects the other and how? If I knew this, I'd be able to know what I was doing, rather than twiddling and hoping for the best.

Yeah it's biased on the fender tone stack of yester year. The bass and treble at 'flat' are boosted and the mids are scooped.

They also interact a fair amount as they have a wide Q.
Flat on the streamliner is the treble and bass cut a fair some and the mids boosted. I never really got on with the controls myself, and haven't on any similar designed controls, I.e the OTB.