Why become a member? ×

Mystery Jazz Bass

sblueplanet

My nephew plays guitar and fancies buying a cheap bass to try. Im no use to him as Im a lefty. He has a friend selling a jazz bass copy. Ive only seen a photo but it looks like a '70s style sunburst with block inlays. It has a Fender-shaped headstock with the letters MI on it.

Ive never heard of this brand. Is it from a while back or has someone just put their initials on the headstock? Couldn't find any info in a search online. Just wondering if its worth his while buying.

Any insights would be useful and I'll pass them on.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1381258033' post='2236649']
My nephew plays guitar and fancies buying a cheap bass to try. Im no use to him as Im a lefty. He has a friend selling a jazz bass copy. Ive only seen a photo but it looks like a '70s style sunburst with block inlays. It has a Fender-shaped headstock with the letters MI on it.

Ive never heard of this brand. Is it from a while back or has someone just put their initials on the headstock? Couldn't find any info in a search online. Just wondering if its worth his while buying.

Any insights would be useful and I'll pass them on.
[/quote]

I recommend you ask on the Jap crap part of the site. It sounds like an old Japanese Fender 70s copy.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1381266814' post='2236830']
It's probably a CMI bass - the C looks like part of the M if you've not seen the logo before.
Google "CMI Jazz Bass" & see if the pictures are the same as the one you're asking about.
[/quote]
Not many pics out there but logo seems to match that of CMI right enough. Ive asked for some pics but it does look like an accurate copy. Wonder if it was made in the 1970's?