Why become a member? ×

Volume issues at last night's gig

niceguyhomer

I had a problem at last night's gig. When we sound-checked, everything was fine. When we started the first song, the volume had dropped to the point where I could barely hear myself. I switched the bass to passive - which made no difference and at the end of the first song changed all my leads and checked connections - again no difference. The tone was ok just no volume. I turned the gain and volume up to the max and soldiered on but there's something definitely wrong. My head's an LMIII and my cab is DR Bass 2460 - any ideas?

The next step. by the same process of elimination, is to find out whether it's the cab or the amp that has the problem. If it's the cab, I'd open it up and check the wiring and the crossover. It sounds like the amp is trying to drive a load that is under the minimum allowable, but that's just a shot in the dark.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1381139816' post='2234726']
The only thing I have in my chain is a tuner and that was the first thing I disconnected cos I thought the battery may have gone flat.
[/quote]

well that's the first thing checked then...obvious stuff first eh B)

summats definitely amiss then innit! have you tried the head since and does it still sound quiet? have you tried the cab with a different head / head with a different cab?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1381173857' post='2235447']
Bugger me, I think it's my bass! Just tried it through my Tascam BT and it's really quiet active and passive. Jack socket maybe?
[/quote]

Oo bad news!

Some electrical issue at work there! Pickup fault? Could be anything?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1381180416' post='2235597']
It's got 3 pick ups Andy and moving the selector switch made no change to the volume....weird :unsure:
[/quote]

Very! Bug*er!!

No obvious/helpful crackles/pops on any controls?

Tested with a variety of leads?

Well guys, something strange just happened. I popped another battery in - it made no difference and it was still quiet. So I started flicking switches and rotating knobs even though it had no effect when I twiddled them at the gig. I rotated the pup blend knob and there was a small click and hey presto, back to normal volume. It sounds completely normal now, I've sent an email to Jorg at Clover, I'll post his reply. Thanks fellas.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1381182266' post='2235624']
Clover Avenger Custom Chris. [url="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/homerplaysbass/media/2bc7d2f6-0259-4ee1-8a9d-9a8a9fb6253b_zps6fcd0fac.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Oooh that is rather delightful. Musn't Google, musn't Google......