Why become a member? ×

Yikes who needs an expert !

ubassman

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1380413919' post='2225063']
Watching this I feel a strange mixture of loathing, amusement, and pity that I can't find a word for. This guy's obviously a few bars short of the full symphony:

[media]http://youtu.be/kx_XWq7dAQs[/media]

"Expert" village indeed.
[/quote]

:D

Edited by ubassman

There are apparently 3 phases to learning:

1/. Awareness - AKA the "talk the talk phase" where you know what to do , but haven't acquired the skill yet to demonstrate the skill
2/. Practice - starting to "walk the walk" phase , where you put in the hours to nail what you are aware and can demonstrate the concept
3/. Acquired skill - where you just do the skill correctly automatically, effortlessly and with invisible skill i.e. can "talk the talk and can walk the walk"

As with everything on the net theres good and bad experts but I guess it can be very difficult for a beginner to know the difference .

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1380452388' post='2225368']
Edited regardless. Did not intend to sound quite so mean.....
[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Well done, Hector, that's very much in the spirit of the forum. You have just won an MBP (Moderator Brownie Point...).

It's difficult to know, I've been playing DB for 32 yeas but there are areas in which I would not dare to try to advise others.
I do teach DB but with a definite err on the side of foundation technique followed by a leaning towards jazz/pizz
I can show people how to do rudimentary stuff with a bow but the moment a student shows an interest in serious classical repertoire I say, 'off you go to an orchestral player'
The bow grip in the first video leaves me speechless....

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1380455090' post='2225426']
So, open question... when is an 'expert' clearly not an 'expert?
[/quote]
The only time I've come across these Expert Village videos is when people have posted them on forums as an example of how not to do things. This is not just in bass playing either, it happens across the board. I think these are people who are not competent enough to accurately judge their own level of competence.

Edited by Beer of the Bass