Why become a member? ×

Andrew Gouche..??

bubinga5

for once im going to knock someones playing. as much as i love Andrew Gouche's playing, i cant help but feel that he really takes too much time flying around the groove. there is something to be said for the root note, simplistic as it is, but he seems to want to get to it , or get away from it, in the most extravagant way possible. i can dig it now and again, but its all the time. the thing is, there incredible fills, and amazing run downs to notes, but i want to be suprised by a bass line, ,. not just a barrage of mega bass playing.

dont get me wrong i dig the discovery of notes around a chord, but sometimes its a little too much. and it really takes away the original song . me knocking Andrew Gouche.? how dare i. well i have. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjNifAFOX68[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

How people play live and how they play recorded will vary enormously, few bands will put on an album quality performance, and in my experience top players will calm it a bit when they know a show is being recorded.
I think there's room for a bit of showboating on gigs as it can add to the live experience especially if you can add a wow factor.
Having said all that I broadly agree and find that I'm more scintillated by a very controlled performance which makes the odd fill seem jaw dropping in context, than an endless stream of chops which ultimately can detract from the song exactly as you say.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1380364550' post='2224269']
Yeah, a couple of times many years ago.

Pub gigs to largely disinterested punters, not stadiums full of fans!
[/quote] it was a few years ago.im sure it was you that i saw in gloucester. with a soul band. your bass playing was smokin. my sister said" where the f*** did he come from."

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1380365363' post='2224291'] How people play live and how they play recorded will vary enormously, few bands will put on an album quality performance, and in my experience top players will calm it a bit when they know a show is being recorded. I think there's room for a bit of showboating on gigs as it can add to the live experience especially if you can add a wow factor. Having said all that I broadly agree and find that I'm more scintillated by a very controlled performance which makes the odd fill seem jaw dropping in context, than an endless stream of chops which ultimately can detract from the song exactly as you say. [/quote] ive heard alot of Andrew's playing recorded, and he does like to flex his musical muscles. its nice to be a little humble me thinks

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1380366187' post='2224309']
it was a few years ago.im sure it was you that i saw in gloucester. with a soul band. your bass playing was smokin. my sister said" where the f*** did he come from."
[/quote]

No wasn't me, I was playing in an indie / rock band at that time. My playing is lukewarm at best, never smokin' ;)

AG is renowned throughout the Gospel circuit as one of the major influences on modern gospel bassists because of how he plays. His overplaying is what harmonics are to Jaco, that's him. Everything he plays on is littered with fills that stretch way beyond the bar line and go from both ends of the fretboard, sometimes it can be a bit too much but if you're a fan of gospel bass playing you know what you're in for.

Even though he might be doing laps around the neck he is still keeping one hell of groove and also being the MD is quite admirable IMO. AG is one of my influences but ironically I learnt to hold back and to know when to try and slide in a crazy fill.

Sharay Reed is much the same in some of his earlier videos, he is just a lot more focused on the groove but he damn sure knows how to play all around it.

For overplaying that gets a bit too much and samey, we all "love" Billy Sheehan for that.

Edited by Josh