Why become a member? ×

Returning to the bass

CoolWire

Hello to everyone.

My first bass was a '64 Hofner Violin Bass which I played in a few bands before deciding I was a better guitar player. The years role by and the Violin Bass is now in the hands of my son but I have decided it is time that I learned to play the bass properly (whatever that means). I have purchased an SGC Nanyo bass - I cannot remember the model number but it is lovely with a walnut (?) cap on a maple body and a maple neck. It has EMG active pickups. The only thing wrong with it that I can see is that someone filed the brass nut too deep for the A string; a small fragment of beer can is acting as a shim for the time being but I need to get i fixed properly. I guess I'll need a new nut - any recommendations?

Anyway, I now need an amp and being a guitarist it has to be a valve amp and being a bit of a DIY enthusiast I'm going to have to build it myself. Now I know about guitar amps but not about bass amps so I need help. Seems that low-wattage valve, bass amps are becoming quite popular so I'm sure some of you out there will have some opinions on the features that a bass amp should have and how how powerful it should be etc.

So what do you think my next step should be? I have recorded some of my thoughts so far on my blog: [url="http://coolwire.co.uk/category/tube-amps/bass-amps/"]http://coolwire.co.u...amps/bass-amps/[/url]

Anyone else interested in this kind of thing?

[quote name='CoolWire' timestamp='1380015433' post='2219419']
a small fragment of beer can is acting as a shim for the time being
[/quote]

That [b]is[/b] the way to do it.
At least if you're one of those classic, autarkic types. :D
(read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig for the ref.)

Then: what Leen says. Not everyone reads here, but in the Amps & Cabs forum your readers will be interested in amps.
Here, Leen and I are just interested in saying "hi". We're simple people: basses and amps go above our heads.

Welcome to BC! Enjoy the banter.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

:crigon_04:

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][size=4][b]au·tar·ky[/b][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3] or [/size][/color][b]au·tar·chy[/b][color=#000000][size=3](ôtärk)[/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3][i]n.[/i] [i]pl.[/i] [b]au·tar·kies[/b] or [b]au·tar·chies[/b][/size][/color][/font]
[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]1. [/b]A policy of national self-sufficiency and nonreliance on imports or economic aid.[/font][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]2. [/b]A self-sufficient region or country.[/font][/indent]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][size=3][Greek autarkeia, [i]self-sufficiency[/i], from autarks, [i]self-sufficient[/i] : auto-, [i]auto-[/i] + arkein, [i]to suffice[/i].][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=3][b]au·tarkic[/b] (-kk), [b]au·tarki·cal[/b] (-k-kl)[i] adj.[/i][/size][/color][/font] Edited by discreet

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1380099230' post='2220654']
...I have to tell ya, mate: don't forget about style! As it is, you almost sound like a dictionary. Style, man. Style!
[/quote]

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4][b]style[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3] [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3] [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3](stl)[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3]
[i]n.[/i]
[indent=1][b]1. [/b]The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed: [color=#226699][i]a style of speech and writing.[/i][/color][/indent]
[indent=1][b]2. [/b]The combination of distinctive features of literary or artistic expression, execution, or performance characterizing a particular person, group, school, or era.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]3. [/b]Sort; type: [color=#226699][i]a style of furniture.[/i][/color][/indent]
[indent=1][b]4. [/b]A quality of imagination and individuality expressed in one's actions and tastes: [color=#226699][i]does things with style.[/i][/color][/indent]
[indent=1][b]5.[/b]
[indent=1][b]a. [/b]A comfortable and elegant mode of existence: [color=#226699][i]living in style.[/i][/color][/indent]
[indent=1][b]b. [/b]A mode of living: [color=#226699][i]the style of the very rich.[/i][/color][/indent][/indent]
[indent=1][b]6.[/b]
[indent=1][b]a. [/b]The fashion of the moment, especially of dress; vogue.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]b. [/b]A particular fashion: [color=#226699][i]the style of the 1920s.[/i][/color] See Synonyms at [url="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fashion"]fashion[/url].[/indent][/indent]
[indent=1][b]7. [/b]A customary manner of presenting printed material, including usage, punctuation, spelling, typography, and arrangement.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]8. [/b]A form of address; a title.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]9.[/b]
[indent=1][b]a. [/b]An implement used for etching or engraving.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]b. [/b]A slender pointed writing instrument used by the ancients on wax tablets.[/indent][/indent]
[indent=1][b]10. [/b]The needle of a phonograph.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]11. [/b]The gnomon of a sundial.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]12. [/b][i]Botany[/i] The usually slender part of a pistil, situated between the ovary and the stigma.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]13. [/b][i]Zoology[/i] A slender, tubular, or bristlelike process: [color=#226699][i]a cartilaginous style.[/i][/color][/indent]
[indent=1][b]14. [/b][i]Medicine[/i] A surgical probing instrument; a stylet.[/indent]
[indent=1][b]15. [/b][i]Obsolete[/i] A pen.[/indent][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3]
[i]tr.v.[/i] [b]styled[/b], [b]styl·ing[/b], [b]styles[/b]
[indent=1][b]1. [/b]To call or name; designate: [color=#226699][i]George VI styled his brother Duke of Windsor.[/i][/color][/indent]
[indent=1][b]2. [/b]To make consistent with rules of style: [color=#226699][i]style a manuscript.[/i][/color][/indent]
[indent=1][b]3. [/b]To give style to: [color=#226699][i]style hair.[/i][/color][/indent][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3]
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin stylus, stilus, [i]spike, pointed instrument used for writing, style[/i]; see[b]stylus[/b].][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3]
[b]styler[/b][i] n.[/i][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=3]
[b]styling[/b][i] n.[/i][/size][/font][/color]