Why become a member? ×

Industry standard studio amps!

Aaron

DI

I wouldn't go near mic'ing up a bass amp in this day and age. Mic too close and you might as well DI anyway, further away you get more air in the sound, but if the acoustics in your room aren't top notch you'll have all sorts of trouble. Lower frequency resonances are much harder to solve than the higher ones where a bit of foam will do the trick.

DI, and if you really want to get a range of bass amp sounds get a VST (Ampeg do one) and you're done. :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1380180076' post='2221797']
Nah DI and a Mic works great

DI for the sub, up to lowest mids and sparkly top, Mic for mids if the player has some grit in tgeir sound.

This will convey 'their sound' better than a VST whilst leaving you max control in the mix IME...
[/quote]

This, if you've got the room/mics/preamps to make a decent go of it. I've been really happy with a blend of Avalon U5 DI with my Genz Benz Shuttle/Ampeg SVT610 miked up.

I've also had some good results for more agggresive tones by blending a DI and bass amp mic with a driven guitar amp to get some filth into the mids.

Having said that, if you haven't got an acoustically decent space and access to quality mics and pres, you may get better results from a clean DI and processing the sound in your recording software, where the world is your oyster in terms of plug ins. I've heard positive things about the Ampeg SVX and I believe its pretty cheap now.

You don't really say if the studio is just for your own use or if you're looking to track paying customers so it's hard to say what level to pitch at.

I always get mic'd and DI'd, just to give the engineer options. He uses the DI straight out the back of the Mark Bass I use, and takes it post EQ too! The most valuable piece of kit to me is just broken in strings, intonation's better than old strings.