Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 vs Sadowsky Metroline UVMW 5

Willmill_77

Hi all,

I recently had a go on a Sadowsky Metroline UVMW 5 and was blown away by the feel and the sound - much more b#lls than a jazz bass. Quality was superb. Excellent B string too - no flap at all and excellent tone.

I heard that the stingray 5 feels similar but haven't tried one. Does anyone know ifthe neck profiles are the same? I have small hands and the thing about hte Sadowsky was that it was comfortable?
Would the Stingray 5 be too?

Any opinions welcome .

Mant thanks

W

:)

The neck profiles are totally different. For a start the Sadowsky has 19mm string spacing. The 'ray would be nearer 17.5mm. I disposed of my 'Ray a few years back because the neck was too narrow. I'd say the Sadowsky neck is wider but flatter, although still quite chunky.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the Sadowsky I'd suggest a Lakland Skyline 5 string (a Joe Osborne would be my choice, although I've never tried the DJ model - it's supposed to be very good...)

I had an older sadowsky tokyo UV70's 5 string and now play a lakland DJ5 - I prefer the lakland, plus it's far better value for money and there are quite a few floating around on the used market. Also it really doesn't require an active pre IMO it's got tonnes of low end and plenty of top already.
Build quality is equivalent, both being flawless as far as I'm concerned - the DJ5's I've played have all been lighter than the metro sadowsky 5's I've had experience with - not sure if this is across the board.

SR5's are completely different beasts, but still great in their own way - I've had a couple in the past and hope to get hold of another single H model in the next year or so.

A skyline 55-02 would be a good choice aswell - I personally think the new lakland electronics are a big step up from the older barts.

[quote name='Bigwan' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:10 PM' post='220592']
The neck profiles are totally different. For a start the Sadowsky has 19mm string spacing.

I think this is an important point about string spacing and which suits your playing style/ preference.
Personally I couldn't get on with the Lakland 55-02 and much prefer the Sadowsky NYC modern 24 fr.
( never tried the Metros)