Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Build

SolomonHelsing

Figured i'd start a topic in here as I've finally started to finish a jazz bass kit I bought 3 years.

Thought yesterday would be the last decent weather we had for a while possibly, today proves that :/
Colour is Molotow Currant Purple. Looked darker on my pc when ordering but still happy with it.

That's its old neck that came in the £100 kit, Being Replaced by a Maple/Maple with Black block inlays.

Hardware mostly wilkinson bridge, Tuners etc. All black.
Pickups Wilkinson Alnico Pickups, Figured i'd probably not get much better pickups for £55 roughly.
Basic jazz bass wiring, V/V/T/Input I believe it is.
Hopefully be an update in the next week or two once funds come in to buy all the rest,

Thought i'd mentioned pickguard haha, will be a black one :)
I have a white one that came with the kit i'll check incase I prefer it but most likely black, to go with the hardware.
Only thing that I'm not sure on is whether to still use a chrome control plate or go black with that too,
black would fit in more, but chrome might be a bit of variation it could do with, Again I still have the chrome one from the kit so i'll just do test fits ha.

[quote name='rapscallion' timestamp='1379423527' post='2212483']
Are you using one of the CH Guitar necks from eBay? If so let me know how you get on!
[/quote]

Yup they're the ones, Hoping it'd be a good neck for £75.
Or good enough till I can get an unfinished canary/canary blocked and binded one from warmoth, but that requires extra funds I don't have yet

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Friday Morning i'll be ordering everything for this. Long with a decent soldering iron and a size up screw driver as my current ones aren't quite neck plate screw size.

I'm having thoughts on the neck, headstock specifically, Here are my ideas:[list=1]
[*]Get a Decal for it, not Faker Fender crap or anything, but just something.
[*]Spray the front of it the purple of the body, and add painters masking tape to the to buy list.
[*]Leave it blank, F*** marketing!.
[/list]

Some Opinions would be nice.

I'm still going all black hardware, Black matte pickguard. I also happily found rotosound nexus strings, black, not £30ish a set(unlike others), closer to £20ish, So hopefully i'll like them as least for now I want it to have black strings, even if the black wears off in places. I'm contemplating i'll be playing the crap out of this.

[quote name='SolomonHelsing' timestamp='1379424762' post='2212506']
Yup they're the ones, Hoping it'd be a good neck for £75.
Or good enough till I can get an unfinished canary/canary blocked and binded one from warmoth, but that requires extra funds I don't have yet
[/quote]
This looks cool, but (at the risk of being boring) why spend £75 on a neck you don't want?
Save your cash and put it towards the one you do want.

Rich

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1380176169' post='2221747']
This looks cool, but (at the risk of being boring) why spend £75 on a neck you don't want?
Save your cash and put it towards the one you do want.

Rich
[/quote]

It isn't so much a case I don't want that neck, I always knew I wanted a lighter colour neck with at least block inlays for a jazz bass.
And seeing as the blocked and binded warmoth version comes in at a "I could get a new(used) head and cab with this" £400 pounds minus import duty etc.

I'm more than happy now to go with that one, seeing as this is currently going to end up as a £350ish worth bass,
I mean if I get on with it and play it alot and find the neck isn't what I want,
then i'll go with warmoth, but by that time i'll hopefully have easier ways of saving 400 for a neck alone, Right now I can't be so reckless with money.

Very good point though and I have thought of that, but it'd be along time till this was finished, and that neck does fit the minimum requirements i wanted =]

Well, lots of parts arrived, Problems ensued.

First off they sent the wrong pickguard, although it would've looked pretty nice, I tried to fit it, and it didn't line up enough with the control plate and some holes didn't line up either.

So back to the original white pickguard, which I might spray black, Unsure.

Secondly, unless tonerider jazz pickups have further spread out screw holes than other jazz pickups, then the stock pickups in the Saga Jazz kit have closer together screw holes than normal jazz pickups.

Slight bit of sanding of the bridge pickup route and filing of the pickguard to fit the toneriders in, but the actual pickup sizes are the same thankfully.

Neck arrived, Seems solid, nicely built, the inlays aren't badly done at all. I'll be very happy to play this bass with that neck for as long as it stays at the spec it is now.

Sprayed the headstock front purple to match the body, will post a pic tomorrow.

Luckily the bridge, tuners, control plate and everything else fit, screw holes align etc (although the tuners don't have screw holes yet)

Alot of progress come friday when I go home to get my first car , as I have all the tools to finish the bass back at home, it saves me another 10-20 getting a hand drill and small drill bits etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty guys, A week late with an update, Did no assembly at home, But my weekend plans have fallen through, so I'm doing it nowwww.

Todays Progress (May or may not do more):

Getting these in was a pain honestly, The one thing I hadn't thought of was the tuner rings needed fitting, and I had no actual rubber mallet etc. Sooo out came the headstock taped up in masking tape, and the ond neck , let's just say besides a few nicks that worked out well. and the screw holes for the tuners went moderately well, no badly stripped heads or anything, I did the whole bit of wax on them and pilot holes, just I'm not as accurate as some, but no problems and all solid.

Installed the pickups, this required some sanding of the screw hole circles in the body at the bridge, and the pickguard, Besides looking up close I really doubt any would notice the non semi circles they are a bit now.

Right now i'm slightly wanting to keep the white pickguard, as it might look good. However I can't attach the nut till I can afford some superglue, So what that opens up is that the strings wont be on the bass till I have money, so I can also get the paint to spray the pickguard black also if I decide to.

Either tonight or tomorrow i'm going to start on the control plate and electronics.

The neck is also drilled and test fitted.

The problems I came across just over a week ago now didn't take more than a few hours of carefulish sorting out.

More to come this weekend for definate. Need to get the parts assembled and not cluttering up space.

The tension on the strings would keep the nut in place without needing to glue but this would probably be better as a temporary thing and personally I would use just a drop of wood glue rather than super glue for the nut :)

That purple looks amazing!!

Thanks for the suggestions, and yeah when I first replaced my warmoths strings fully the nut popped off and obviously hadn't had much holding it there before,
I might well try the wood glue instead then

Going to fit the bridge and solder the electronics tomorrow, then it's just finishing touches of strap locks and string tree etc.

Think i'll keep the pickguard white for now, and see how I want it to turn out in the end, It's the kit pickguard as any others I could buy seem to have slightly different dimensions.

• 2 weeks later...

Well update time once more.

Got my wiring harness in the post this morning, So now that's fitted in and all working!

Yes they're g*bson style top hat knobs i've used but I was thinking i'd like the look of them, and I do Plus it's not either make in any parts so sod it

Glued the nut in with a bit of wood glue, says 24 hours to set to clear, Does this mean to be on the safe side I should leave it for a day and then string it up and find out what i've buggered up? haha.

Last things to do are attach the neck properly, as it was just test fitted to sand a bit of the pickguard that was overlapping into the neck pocket.

Aswell as string it up and attach the string tree, now with that, would I be best off attach it before stringing up in a guessed place or am I safe to position it after strings are on and then drill and fasten for it then? I know some do for guitars, I wasn't sure if basses were any different?

And just as you're all picture mad

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1382552685' post='2253615']
some black strings would look awesome on that, especially with the white pickguard, i would string it then attatch the string tree, its very easy to get it badly out of line.
[/quote]

Gotten some rotosound nexus strings, black coated :)

And ok cool I was more checking you can do that with basses, was always what I thought was better way :)