Why become a member? ×

Thomastik flatwounds. And why I hate them

risingson

I love TI's, probably because they are not like regular flats.

I've nothing against regular flats though so I wouldn't recommend these as 'the best' flatwound strings, just great strings if you like what they do. I've had no balance issues like the op mentioned, and I have them on 3 high end basses.

But having a hate rant about them, especially when so many people and pro's appreciate them, I feel is a little unfair on a high quality product.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fitted a set of the La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FX (39 / 56 / 77 / 96) as an experiment as they are similar in gauge to the TIs on my other fretless bass. Early days yet but so far the G seems overly zingy and the E a tiny bit lifeless in comparison to the TIs. I'll give them some more time to bed in and for me to get more used to them too before I would really make a choice.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1381175223' post='2235486']
Does this mean a set of low use TI flats will be up for sale? If so name your price, they are my strings of choice.
[/quote]

I have a set that have been on the bass for 10 mins, if you are interested. PM me?

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1380466864' post='2225682']
But having a hate rant about them, especially when so many people and pro's appreciate them, I feel is a little unfair on a high quality product.
[/quote]

Rant? Oh dear, try not to take me too seriously, it's my own opinion, nothing more! My favourite bassist Dr. Pino P uses them.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1381175134' post='2235482']
I'd be really interested to hear more about the 760fx set once they bed in mate. I'm a TI user, but have always wondered if this set could give me the labella sound with the TI feel - let us know how you go on.
[/quote]

I'll keep you posted. Give me a week or so...

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1381179424' post='2235576']
Rant? Oh dear, try not to take me too seriously, it's my own opinion, nothing more! My favourite bassist Dr. Pino P uses them.
[/quote]

Yeah, rant!! :P Definition being:[b]A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence[/b]: I'm being tongue in cheek because your post reads angry to me, (which is fair enough as these stings are not cheap). and you did use the word 'hate' in the title, hence me saying 'hate rant'!

But I'm certainly not taking this seriously. In contrast to the original post I've just put a few small sentences in for the other side of the topic.

Actually, sometime early this year I started a topic as it had been years since I tried TI's, I was asking people what they thought of them before I risked the £43 to buy them. It really did appear that people absolutely love them or can't stand them, very little in between. I instantly fell in love with them again but I can see why you dislike them, LaBella's are lovely strings so your opinion is of course very valid.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1381171825' post='2235396']
I've just fitted a set of the La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FX (39 / 56 / 77 / 96) as an experiment as they are similar in gauge to the TIs on my other fretless bass. Early days yet but so far the G seems overly zingy and the E a tiny bit lifeless in comparison to the TIs. I'll give them some more time to bed in and for me to get more used to them too before I would really make a choice.
[/quote]
What is the tension like compared between TIs and 760fx? I'm talking about how hard you have to press down with your fretting hand.
Do you notice any difference over an extended playing period - an hour or so?

They feel pretty similar to me, maybe the La Bella E is slightly harder, but it's a thing of degrees really. Both feel nice to the play though, and no noticeable additional effort needed for extended playing.

OK, reporting back...The TIs are on a custom ACG with fancy EQ but I've been running it in passive as the La Bella's are on a passive ACG. Both basses are fretless, both have two humbuckers and both have ebony boards. Somewhat different body woods though.

The feel of both sets under the digits is pretty similar as they have pretty much similar gauges, maybe the E string feels ever so slightly different. Tonally I'd say the La Bella's, to my ears, are slightly warmer sounding, and maybe do the treble slightly better. The TIs though do seem to have stronger mids. We are not talking about chalk and cheese here, I think the differences are noticable but don't slap you in the face so to speak.

On balance my preference is for the TIs, even though they are a chunk more costly. It's hard to rationlise in any objective way, I just prefer the sound of them I guess.

As an aside, I'm going to take the La Bella's off to keep them in good nick as they may well be of interest to others...PM me if you're interested otherwise I'll stick them on the marketplace.

Interesting little tale along these lines - I recently came to a realisation that when I first bought the Pino bass (from a bloke in Dagenham many years ago) it had mismatched strings on it. E/A were Labella 760FLs and the D/G were TI's. It would have seemed immediately obvious due to the lack of silks at the bridge end, but I had mistakenly assumed they had gone so far in their authentic relicing that they had burnt/scraped back the silks to stop them running over the saddles (as some people do).
It was only on really close inspection I noticed that the ribbon of the flat winding was wound in the opposite direction on the E/A. Another give away was when the silk at the tuner end started to fall off in a big way and I could see the "coarseness" of the winding - which looked very familiar to my sadowsky flats (which I remembered are made by Labella).
So for all those years I had a mismatched set on there and it sounded really good! Recently restrung it with a set of the Labellas, but you know what. I now prefer the TI's a lot more so kept those on. I have to add that as the TI's age they really do improve from the sound when new IMO.