Why become a member? ×

Now sold, thanks. Fender Power Jazz Bass Special £400
£400

Paul S

I have tried to sell this a few times and each time I have taken it out of the case to take pictures I put it away again. but this time it is going. No, I really mean it.

Fender Power Jazz Bass Special in pearl white, maple neck with rosewood board and black headstock. Black hardware. Made in Fuji-gen 1984-1987, just about the time when they were (arguably) making the best basses in the world. At the time I believe this was something of a departure for fender - it was a Precision body with Jazz neck (reinforced with carbon fibre - you can see that on the headstock) PJ pickups and active preamp that does all sorts of nice things.

Here is a link to the fender owners manual [url="http://support.fender.com/manuals/instruments/Power_Jazz_Bass_Japan_(1987"]http://support.fende...ass_Japan_(1987[/url])_manual.pdf and here a good diagram that explains what it all does from Talkbass [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/active-power-jazz-bass-special-fender-192864/#post7894267"]http://www.talkbass....64/#post7894267[/url]

It is in incredibly good condition. I won't say mint because it isn't mint, but it is near museum piece quality. I have taken a pic of the biggest dink to the paintwork, the rest is ok - a little buckle rash but nothing major. The white paint finish has aged to a lovely pale cream. The maple has hat golden patina that only age can do.

I don't think this was standard issue but at some point the pups have been changed to Seymour Duncan Basslines. To put it bluntly, it is a rock monster. Absolutely fantastic, a joy to play - push it and the grit gets gritty. Isolate the P pup and it sounds precision-y, but harder. Blend the pups and it is made to rock and roll. I put some DR Highbeams on it and they are just at that nice point when they are worn it but still loads of oomph.

[s]At the moment it is sporting a (black) Hipshot detuner and a Gotoh 201 bridge - this is black chrome rather than solid black. I can sell it with these on or return to stock.[/s]

The reason I am selling it is that, at nearly 10lbs, it is too heavy for me to wear for any length of time. And I have too many basses - one or more have to go so it is going to be this one.

Price. returned to stock (well, as I got it) with the normal tuner and BBOT bridge back on it, £400. [s]With Hipshot detuner £430. With Gotoh Bridge £450.[/s] It comes with a perfectly serviceable ABS case with a few dings. Fully insured overnight courier would be £25, pick up from Benfleet in Essex or I can meet half way or deliver within reason for fuel cost.

I'll be bringing it with me to the SE Bass Bash, which would make an ideal opportunity to pay for and collect it....

Edit - just a thought - I would trade this for a TC Electronics RH450 and footswitch.

[attachment=143366:Fender PJBS 006.JPG][attachment=143367:Fender PJBS 001.JPG][attachment=143368:Fender PJBS 004.JPG][attachment=143369:Fender PJBS 005.JPG][attachment=143370:Fender PJBS 003.JPG][attachment=143371:Fender PJBS 002.JPG]

Edited by Paul S

Sadly, too heavy for me otherwise it wouldn't be going anywhere. I truly don't think I could get such a good bass in such good condition for the money.

Yes, absolutely Duff-tastic! The one they based his sig model on, I suppose. But better and cheaper :yarr:

Detuner is a BT2.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1378843595' post='2205539']
There are times when I believe I am punishing myself with my recent one-in, one-out policy - and this is one of them, love it :)
[/quote]

You could always make it more of a guideline than a policy?...

Looks like the de-tuner is sold (thanks Mike). When I take that off I'll change the bridge, too, so it will be back to the BBOT.

Also - I won't be at my pc from early tomorrow until Tuesday in case anyone wants to get in touch.

Ta! :)

If you excuse my logic, this is a bit like saying 'I would have bought that car but the guy took the go faster stripes off it'!

I realise you are joking but, as a general observation, this is a steal at £400 so I am not budging on price :)

A quick 'come and see it at the SE Bass Bash on Saturday' type bump.

Decided to keep the Gotoh bridge on it, so price includes that plus the original BBOT. Incidentally, it is fitted with Schaller-type strap buttons. Can't find the originals anywhere!

A post bass bash bump (try saying that after a packet of wine gums) - a bit of interest but it is still here. Someone who had noodled on it for a while commented that he thought it wasn't nearly 10lbs - I have re-weighed it and he is quite right - under 9.5lbs, approx. 4.2kg. Nevertheless I am still selling it! So - £400 including Gotoh bridge and a functional EBS case. Postage £25 extra. UK only.

So that was you, Lozz! I didn't catch sight of your name sticker. Should have recognised the shiny pate... :) Yes, got my luggage scales out - not high tech ones but they seem accurate enough. Thanks for that, anyway, a great endorsement from a man who knows his precisions!

• 2 weeks later...

Darn, this would be the perfect rock-monster for my new stoner-rock band!
Unfortunately i don't have any spare cash lying around at the moment or i would buy this in an instant.
Could i tempt you in a trade with my Farida Jazz & Ashdown combo by any chance?
The prices would match up nicely.. :)

Edited by Bassdude BE