Why become a member? ×

Time to lose some weight with the help of TC Electronic

basshead56

Hi all,

After years of being addicted to huge cabs and uber heavy heads I have had something of a 'moment of clarity'.
I have decided that the best way to go for me at this point is finding a head for my Mesa Scout Radiator 15, as dragging the Powerhouse 8x10 and M-Pulse 600 around is getting harder. I have also down-sized vehicles so transport is a factor
I had been doing quite a bit of research on what lightweight head would give me the best bang for my kiwi-buck. I have also had to factor in availability because the market is isn't as good down here and it takes forever for new stuff to get here (and being Irish, I have no patience whatsoever!)
So after trying a couple of different options, i was all set to save up for a hugely overpriced Orange Terror Bass (500) when I happened across the TC BH250 on this website.
I love the idea of a tiny head that has all those features including the Toneprint and a tuner and puts out 250 watts into 4ohms (which is what my Scout 15 is rated at)

After contacting the NZ supplier I have been told that there aren't any availble in NZ yet but they can get me one new for $850 (425 quid?!). OR there is a demo unit with a slight bit of courier damage (bent handle I'm told) they can let me have for about $400, which is what i'm considering.

My question is:
Will the BH250 go well through a 4ohm 15 in terms of volume? Playing with a drummer and guitarist with a halfstack?
I have played the M-Pulse through it and was afraid to drive it cause I didn't want to blow the speaker and it seemed fine at low volume.

Also, how useable are the toneprints? good?
Or am I best going flat and using my VT Bass Deluxe?

i asked the same question recently too. it seems that at 4ohms its perfectly giggable. i though decided just to get the slightly more powerful (on paper anyway) ampeg pf350 which in theory should be plenty power. iv got first gig tnight with it so ill let you know.

i decided that the toneprint might be a cool thing for a muck around at home but couldn't really decide on a practical use gig wise. perhaps for an 'always on' effect ( od, chorus or compressor perhaps) but again i decided that i wouldn't use it.

the ampeg fits into the front of my case, and seems rock solid so i think i chose correctly.

I'd always go for a 500 watt amp, I used to use a Mesa Boogie 400+ and I now use an Aguilar TH500. The headroom in a good 500 watt amp will get you a great clean bass tone.

I think that you need more speakers. To my ear modern 12's sound better than "older" style 15's. The good ones are louder, lighter and punchier with a great tone. I use 2 112 cabs and they easily manage all the gigs that my old Mesa Boogie 210 and 115 stack covered.

Good point Chris. I use my 1x12 combo on it`s own in the band I`m in that has 2 basses, as I`m not holding all the low-end on my own, but in my other band with just me on bass, I bring along the 1x12 ext cab as well. The two of these are plenty for all the gigs I`ve done so far, including an outdoor gig without the rig going through the PA.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so my new (ex-demo) BH250 arrived at work this morning - even though I only ordered it at 3pm yesterday from a shop in Nelson and I'm in Invercargill (only a mere 972kms away!)

Anyway, impressive logistics aside, I can't wait to get home and have a go.
In the meantime, I have time to look over the cosmetic condition of the unit (near perfect, aside from 3 slightly bent back corners and rack handles) and have a quick peek through the manual. Looks pretty straightforward.
Love the fact that there's a built in tuner (and I use the TC Poly on my board) with mute on the front)
Based on looks alone, I reckon I did good with the price and I can be smug in the knowledge that mine is currently the only one in New Zealand!!! :P

Only downside was having to justify it to 'Her Indoors' - so parted ways with my Squier VM Jaguar Bass on Sunday - genuinely gutted, especially considering it was probably my most used bass, but having got the Fender version, I really couldn't keep both of the same model (except when they're Precisions, she knows I can have as many as I like :lol: ). Still, my gear from back home will soon be in a container bound for the land down under-er (she'll lose her mind when she sees al that!)

Right, only 4.5 hours till I can get home for some TC/Mesa goodness!!!

I went along a similar down sizing route and currently own a BH250. It's an incredible little amp. Tried initially with a Peavey BW 1x15 and it was plenty loud and powerful but couldn't quite get a useable tone. Tried with various other cabs eg 6x10's /8x10's/ a 4x12 and eventually settled on a BC212 TC cab. The BH250 amps are voiced for modern horn loaded cabs, that where they really shine in my opinion. Without a horn, they can sound a bit flat if you like an upfront bass tone. Anyway, the TC cab is gone now and I use the BH as a standby to my Musicman amp and Mesa Diesel cab as its easy to take anywhere in the gig-bag. I also use it as a desktop monitor(with headphones) and recording interface as i can bounce tone-prints in and out easily from my computer. For live use, I usually preset the multiband compressor as this keeps the sound tight. Its a keeper for me but i did go through several cabs before hearing its true potential. Your powerhouse 8x10 should really show the amps tones. Hope you enjoy :)