Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

EUB recommendation for conversion?

AndyBass

As I've mentioned in a previous thread I'm toying with getting a cheap EUB and "lefting" it, which I assume predominantly involves a new bridge and nut, but then also potentially drilling holes for those brace bits and such.

Firstly, anyone got any recommendations of easy to convert EUBs (ie ones with the least asymmetry)? And any opinions on whether those brace bits are needed or if you can do without? Portability is key so recommendations of ones that are or break down small are also welcome! And finally, are they really like proper DBs to play? Could I make up for practice I miss on my DB on an EUB?

Thanks y'all! I've only even seen one once so am totally ignorant about them.

I'm pretty sure you could just flip the bridge and file the nut on the stagg? The forearm rest is in the wrong place and only for thumb position anyway, the body rest I like and use but its just two threads which two nuts glued into the body would solve no problem, I don't think I have missed anything? As for being like a db then I think the stagg is actually much more like a db than something like an NS which feel much more like a fretless bass on end to me although they are obviously much higher quality instruments.

I've got a Stagg EDB, and I think stingrayPete is right
It does seem a fairly straightforward conversion
.... mind you, I haven't tried it myself ;)

It appears that the bridge should be simple to remove & flip
Not so sure about the nut - but a bit of care with a fine razor saw, or sharp knife?
Depends on the strength of the adhesive, I suppose....

Re the rests. I didn't like the shape & arrangement of the ones that came with my bass
And I do find them fairly easy to bend about a bit
So maybe a bit of work there - or making / shaping your own?

I've got to say, for the money they're a really good buy
If you can pick one up cheap S/H on here, then all the better

I've just bought myself an acoustic DB (alright a "proper" one!)
But I won't be selling my Stagg - it'll be a great backup,
and useful for those "keep the noise down, it's late!" practices

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1378408600' post='2199952']
I'm pretty sure you could just flip the bridge and file the nut on the stagg? The forearm rest is in the wrong place and only for thumb position anyway, the body rest I like and use but its just two threads which two nuts glued into the body would solve no problem, I don't think I have missed anything? As for being like a db then I think the stagg is actually much more like a db than something like an NS which feel much more like a fretless bass on end to me although they are obviously much higher quality instruments.
[/quote]

Pete's right.
The NS instruments are more like a halfway-house between a fretless and an upright, but that's why I like mine. It was what I wanted.
The NS look like they could be converted.
The bridge would easily flip around and is adjustable for height, so that'd be easy.
The nut might need replacement, but I reckon that's likely on many instruments. Don't think it could easily be removed and just turned around. Might be worth a try, though.
No rests and very little asymmetry to contend with. Only minus is the controls would be on the far side from you on an NS.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

To sum up what I mention in that other thread:

- bridge can be flipped around, but the grooves need to be filed to give the strings the correct angle. That will probably mean the grooves will soon become too deep, and the bridge will need to be filed or replaced.
- nut can be filed, but the G string will have to end up in the large groove where the E string was - and may need a small piece of cork to avoid being too low and buzzing against the fingerboard.
- bracket will need to be repositioned, which implies moving the threaded clamp and drilling a hole in the body in the correct places. In my experience the bracket [b]is[/b] useful in all cases.

Good luck :)

I've got both a "leftied" HB and a left-handed NS 5string upright and agree with the comments above regarding both.

Edited by bluejay

• 2 months later...

Just an update on this for anyone ever trying to do the same thing. I got my "leftified" Stagg back today, with flipped bridge, nut replaced with properly-filed ebony nut and new holes drilled on for the main rest (the one against the body), and generally tinkered and tidied (I have no talent for the practical, so got a local luthier onto it).

Gotta be honest, I really like it. The fingerboard feels weird and a bit rubbery, but that aside it plays well and sounds pretty cool for slap and pizz. Gonna give some arco a go tomorrow. I actually like the stock strings. I can do slap stuff on them I can't get near on my Jargars, they're ridiculously low tension for steels.

Am I an EUB convert? Nah, I doubt I'll be using it for gigs (though I am played the smallest pub ever on Friday, so maybe I should...), but at £280 for a fully lefted EUB I can use for practice when the bairns asleep, taking on holiday etc, I'm pretty pleased. Totally recommend Staggs for ease of conversion should anyone else ever want to try.

Yep, I was pleased this worked out for you too AndyBass :)

Have a play around with it, and maybe do a couple of songs with it at a gig.....
The Stagg got me hooked on DB, and I've not looked back
The beauty of the Stagg is not just that it folds down to a compact size,
but as you say, you can play it quietly while the little one's asleep

The MP3 player socket is useful here too :)