Why become a member? ×

I need to buy pickups, can you help?

Peterscott8

Hello all,
I've recently purchased my first double bass, its a 3/4 German O.M. Monnich. Second hand nicely setup, and Im absolutely loving it!
I now need pickups to make live performance better and easier than my current solution of an SM57 on a clip. I've been told the realist pickup is quite good, but also heard mention of another who's name I forget, 'something twin' where 2 pickups are installed underneath the bridge?
Can anyone help or offer advice on the matter please, my budget is ideally around 200 pounds possibly a little more depending on what I'm getting.

Thanks

Like anything 'double bass related', it all depends on the bass, your style, the size of gigs, the stage volume you need and the sound you aim to achieve. I think I have tried every pickup or mic I am aware of and I cannot find anything better than the Upton Revolution solo. In the studio it puts the bass sound to the desk pretty unaltered, and live you can play loud with not too much risk of feedback. Plus it is easy to install and relatively cheap. Other people don't like it as much of course, it's never that easy.

It's received some mixed feedback in recent years, but for me and my bass, I have fallen in love with the Wilson K4.
I have heard it on other basses where it has sounded very 'electric', and not very natural at all, however on my Westbury bass I have managed to get it sounding big, warm, well-rounded, and punchy, with absolutely zero feedback. I wouldn't trade it for anything right now. Absolutely love it.

When it comes to anything double bass related, whether it be pickups, strings, bows etc, if you're truly looking to find the best possible combination for your bass and sound, you must be willing and prepared to experiment with different strings, different pickups etc, and potentially spend a lot of money doing so. It's just all about experimentation, and finding what works best for you and your bass.
Reviews, feedback and opinions on strings and pickups etc are all very useful, and worth reading, but no bass is the same, so gather all the information you can, but then make your own decision, and just be prepared to not get the best results first time.

When you do find something that works for you however, it is a mighty fine feeling :)

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1378413457' post='2200070']
Like anything 'double bass related', it all depends on the bass, your style, the size of gigs, the stage volume you need and the sound you aim to achieve. I think I have tried every pickup or mic I am aware of and I cannot find anything better than the Upton Revolution solo. In the studio it puts the bass sound to the desk pretty unaltered, and live you can play loud with not too much risk of feedback. Plus it is easy to install and relatively cheap. Other people don't like it as much of course, it's never that easy.
[/quote]

I must admit that I really like the sound of the Rev Solo. I currently have a BassMax, which has the same benefit of being easy to install, but it's way too boomy and artificial sounding. The Solo sounds like a good match. Do you know where I can get one from in the UK/Ireland? The Upton site charges $40 or so for delivery which makes this a very expensive option, but if anyone knows anywhere closer to home I'd be interested to find out.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1378768785' post='2204603']
I got mine from Upton and paid the charges, but recently got a spare here on Basschat. Sometimes one comes up in the 'for sale' section. Unfortunately you can't buy them in Uk (don't think so anyway).
[/quote][quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1378768785' post='2204603']
I got mine from Upton and paid the charges, but recently got a spare here on Basschat. Sometimes one comes up in the 'for sale' section. Unfortunately you can't buy them in Uk (don't think so anyway).
[/quote]
Ha, should've held on to it!

I also have the Wilson K4 on a Clifton EUB, it's by far the best sounding EUB I've experienced, but I've not had the pleasure of trying the Wilson on a real bass yet. I'm working on it.

[quote name='Rabbie' timestamp='1378768785' post='2204603']
[/quote]

Thanks Rabbie - yep, after much Googling I came to the conclusion that it's either Upton or secondhand. Oh well, there's no major hurry and I may still opt for a Full Circle instead as I'm getting adjusters fitted sometime soon...

Cheers