Why become a member? ×

Fretless Pre-amp identification

warwickhunt

I've just picked up a Stage I fretless that is equipped with Bartolinis and a 3 band EQ. The layout of the controls is unusual in that the stacked pot that is where a traditional Stage I pan pot would be is actually the vol & pan controls. Not the most intuitive position when you are used to the Warwick layout, so I may well move it back.

However, when I opened up the control cavity I found a 2nd battery (18v circuit) and a preamp board that I am not familiar with. Does anyone recognise the board or has a fretless from this period (1990) that can shed light on if this is the original factory Bartolini pre or an upgrade?

Cheers guys and gals

All the Bartollini pre=amps I've seen have been sealed blocks with no components visible. Given the age of the bass I suppose it could be a very early model but even the Bart that was in my 1994 Pedulla was a sealed unit.

Looking at the circuit board there's the work 'bruecke' at the top between the capacitor and the larger chip. This is German for 'bridge' (which is what the piece of wire it's next to is) so I would guess the unit is of German manufacture.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='219279' date='Jun 15 2008, 04:26 PM']Looking at the circuit board there's the work 'bruecke' at the top between the capacitor and the larger chip. This is German for 'bridge' (which is what the piece of wire it's next to is) so I would guess the unit is of German manufacture.[/quote]

Good spot Mr Holmes :)

EDIT: I don’t know much about the innards of basses but with my ignorant knowledge I would guess that it makes sense for it to be a German manufacturer if it’s an early SSI? Warwick = German…most of the parts = German? I’m probably way off it with this as I’ve got a feeling that a lot of the early Warwicks were fitted with Barts, but i don’t even know if this is a fact or a figment of my imagination - what am i saying???? I'm digging myself into a pit of ignorance – I’m not going to be able to tell you anything new that you don’t already know :wacko:

Edited by benwhiteuk

Everyone is correct :)

Turns out it is an MEC 3 band unit (German). I assume this is a much later addition as all of the MEC preamps that I've seen from pre 91 have been 2 band. I now just need to find out what Warwick would have had fitted originally to go with the Barts, as I'm certain that they are original and I've seen plenty of Wicks from this period with them fitted. Funnily enough I sold a SSI to 'GremlinAndy' from this forum and that had Barts fitted (never did look inside that one myself)... Andy!