Why become a member? ×

Pickguard/Scratchplate Replacement for '51'P Reissue & Squier Tele Bass

Donnyboy

I'm obviously a bit bored and need something to focus on/fart about with.

I'm thinking about changing the guards on these basses ( see below- the 2 on the right as you view it) , but can't decide what - was thinking something less white for the '51 P and maybe mintyish for the Squier Tele. I suppose i could just leave them alone

I'd welcome any views/random thoughts......

I think both are fine as they are. If you want something a bit less white for the '51 you could try staining it with tea, I've heard of people doing that before. Or you could leave it out in sunlight to go "off-white", the white scratchplate on my Jazz went very creamy, very quickly just by leaving it in my front room with the curtains open.

Alternatively, you could just take the scratchplate off, always looks nice IMO.

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1378323884' post='2198719']
I think both are fine as they are. If you want something a bit less white for the '51 you could try staining it with tea, I've heard of people doing that before. Or you could leave it out in sunlight to go "off-white", the white scratchplate on my Jazz went very creamy, very quickly just by leaving it in my front room with the curtains open.

Alternatively, you could just take the scratchplate off, always looks nice IMO.

[/quote]

yes that's a good idea - i just kinda thought the white didn't show off the lovely wood to best effect- should've left it in the sun - think we've had some

this year. I 've got a Farmer's/ Scottish Tan ;)

I've just changed the pickguard on my 50s Squier and it looks great, went from black to white. Black would work on that two colour sunburst but it wouldn't be traditional. The black does tie in with the colour scheme though - I did that on a 57RI and it looked great. With the tele bass Fender do that finish on a tele with a white pickguard and that works surprisingly well and definitely keeps the 50s vibe.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378326814' post='2198780']
Can't really have anything but white on a 51-style burst... except tort? You don't see many 51-style tort guards. The Tele is really a perfect colour combo as it is... you could try mint (see my profile pic) or flat white would work with that body colour and maple.
[/quote]

Not tort for me, I think tort looks weird with maple, it only goes with rosewood/ebony fingerboard IMO, but then it's not my bass. Black might look good, but faded white or no plate would get my votes.

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1378325987' post='2198766']

yes that's a good idea - i just kinda thought the white didn't show off the lovely wood to best effect- should've left it in the sun - think we've had some

this year. I 've got a Farmer's/ Scottish Tan ;)
[/quote]

Yep, we've had a few days of sun over on the west coast too! :D

I've seen a few '51s with the plates off, if yours has a nice grain to it I'd take it off.