Why become a member? ×

Yamaha 2024 or 1024 VS P Bass

nottswarwick

No, I don't think so.

My MTD is obviously a lot narrower, but I did a full gig in the P bass last night, and it felt ok. I think if it wasn't for my left wrist tendonitis I wouldn't even be thinking about it, I've got big hands and long fingers, it's quite comfy to be honest.

I'm going to see how it goes. One thing is for sure, I am really enjoying the sound of the flat wounds. Really nice. I am surprised I like them so much, as usually I like to hear the bite of a steel round, with some clunky distortion for a few indie and rock numbers. These rounds have a good mid and top end, really nice.

Not sure what make these are that I have on it though.

But I have always been a big Yammy fan.

Bugger. I need one of these.

I think I am a passive bass guy after all. I know I keep harping on about it, but the simple good tone from my new to me P bass is winning me over all the time. I'd love one of these Yammys as my ultimate bass.

I never have 6 string guitar GAS, as I cannot imagine a fine axe than my 1980s SA2000, proper Jap yamaha, a classic. I suspect I'd feel the same if I had a 2024.

The BB2024's are indeed very special basses . The build quality is second to none , and the sound is sublime . I would rate these Yamaha Super BB's as very good value for money , even at upwards of two grand for a new one. They are easily comparable in every respect to other high-end basses that cost a lot more than that . When I first played one I was surprised by how unlike a Fender they sounded , despite having a traditional PJ configuration . The necks are pretty chunky , but not in a way which ever seems troublesome , even to someone like me who has fairly small hands . Significantly , the nut width is 40mm , which is an excellent compromise between traditional Jazz and Precision Bass dimensions. . A lot of Japanese basses in their "golden era" of the Seventies and Eighties had that nut width , and it seems to work really well . If your money will stretch to one of these , they really are the kind of bass you could keep for the rest of your life and use in any situation . I have noticed they are starting to crop up used nowadays , too , so that is another option . Highly recommended .

• Like 1