Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass: Black, white scratchplate, rosewood neck

Jono Bolton

Hi all!

My flatmate and I foolishly didn't pay Council Tax last year after we finished uni, so I need to make up some cash sharpish. Sadly, that means I'll had to move on my P-Bass.

Standard Mexican affair, I picked this up off ebay last year. The serial No. puts it as a 2000 model, and the poor thing looked like the previous owner hadn't a clue about bass care. It was dirty, the strings I don't think had been changed and the action was terrible, but she's in pretty good nick now.

There's a few things I've changed on it. Firstly, I swapped the original Strat-style knobs for a couple of metal barrel types. The nut has been replaced with a Tusq nut in place of the original plastic one. I've put a set of Dunlop Straploks on it, and I'll include the Ernie Ball strap with the bass as it has the the other end of the locks on it. The bridge has been replaced with the bridge that was originally on my Jazz. The Jazz is a later model and the bridge is a bit thicker than the original Precision one.

I've cleaned the whole thing up, and recently cleaned all the wee metal parts with Methylated spirits, and sanded down the back of the neck with 600 grit wet and dry paper to get rid of the sticky finish on it.

Now, as it's knocking on 9 years old, there are a couple of dings, but nothing major and I've included them in the pics where possible. They are:

a tiny ding on the back of the neck, behind the 1st fret
a 1" scratch between the bridge and the knobs (I couldn't get a pic of this one)
another on the bottom bout of the bass which faces the floor
a little dent on between the forearm contour and the belly chamfer
and one last ding on the underside of the headstock.

There's a wee bit of "buckle rash" on the back, but not much as it hasn't been used much.

Now for the pictures! I used my girlfriend's camera which I've never used before, so I tried my best and can get more if anyone needs them. Some are a little out of focus but are the best I could muster.

I'm looking for [b]£200[/b] for this. I have no problem shipping it at the buyers expense. The bass was shipped in its case to me and is pretty sturdy if not a bit basic.
Apologies for such a huge thread but I feel when you're dealing with stuff like this it's best to be honest and open about everything so everyone's happy.

I have a couple of extra P Bass bits. I was planning on keeping hold of them as I plan on replacing it when I can afford to again, but if the buyer wanted to they could have [b]a black P bass scratchplate[/b] for another [b]£10[/b], a [b]Seymour Duncan SPB-2[/b] ([b]new, unused and in its box[/b]) for [b]£40[/b], a[b] Gotoh 201 bridge[/b] for [b]£15[/b] and [s]a [b]Badass II[/b] for [b]£40[/b] (but I'd rather keep that, hence the high price).[/s] These bits are also available seperately if anyone is interested.

PM me if you're interested or with offers, I'll try and get back to you ASAP.

Cheers for looking guys!

Edited by jono b

More pictures folks, they wouldn't all fit in the first post!

Scratch in the finish:

Hairline crack:

The white scratchplate has aged nicely, but as you can see, it's still white under the knobs:

The bass will be shipped in this case. Stickers can be removed (or kept) if you want:

Edited by jono b

Thanks Steve! I know there's a couple of other Mexican Ps on here just now, I hope folk don't think I'm being a c*** and trying to under-cut the other guys but I thought the price was a good 'un considering the age, condition and the mods, but also I need to make a pretty quick sale.

Thank you Paul! I find it's best to be up front with stuff like this, that way everyone's happy.
Unless someone else takes them before the bass goes, I'll do it with the [b]Gotoh 201[/b] and the [b]black scratchplate[/b] for [b]£220[/b]