Why become a member? ×

JAMES TYLER 4 STRING

7string

James Tyler makes guitars which have gained great acclaim from players around the world. Together with their vibrant colours (which include such names as "Burning Water" and "Psychedelic vomit") and the trademark, large headstock they're not hard to spot in a crowd.

But it's the sound and playability which Tyler's are famous for. Little wonder that the user list on the Tyler Guitars website has a fair few names on it. James Tyler has stopped making basses for a few years now, but still the basses still retain a reputation for amazing playability and great sound.

A couple of years ago a friend of bought a Tyler guitar, a Studio Elite model in Burning Water. It plays like nothing else I have ever wiped a plectrum across, the neck was just unreal and it sounded good as well. We always joked that it would be cool to get a matching bass, but with Tyler not making basses that seemed impossible.

So over the last couple of years, I've always kept an eye out for one. I did come across one in the USA, but I didn't have the funds to buy it. However, I did get some great wallpaper for my laptop. A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I wanted a change and that I would sell one bass and get something more traditional, maybe a 5 string. Long story short, I was searching for a replacement and right at the bottom of the list of the "New Arrivals" at The Gallery in London was a Tyler. I asked for more photos, then 'phoned them up to say I'd have it.

After being delivered to the Gloucester depot instead of the Glasgow depot, the bass arrived 24 long hours late.

So the question is.... are Tyler basses worthy of their reputation....

[size=4][b][color="#FF0000"]YES THEY ARE !![/color][/b][/size]

The case has seen a few miles, but the bass looks much better than it did in the pics I got from The Gallery or Talkbass. These pics aren't bad, but the bass has had a good clean and polish this evening so I'll post some more soon.

On the surface it isn't that spectacular, just a black bass with a lot of controls and an oversize headstock with James Tyler emblazoned on it several times. However, pick up the bass and immediately the weight is the surprising thing. It weighs just 3.5kg (I think that's about 7lb 9oz). As someone who own's a Conklin which weighs 14lbs that's a relief.

Then there's that neck. It's really a bit of a Goldilock's neck. Not too shallow, not too deep. It's not a smooth 'c' shape either. There's a definate a 'v' in the neck but to me it seems to be off-centre, there's a little more meat towards the E string. In short, it's a wonderful neck to play and I can see why those who have played a Tyler remember the experience.

The fingerboard is pau-ferro (also known as Bolivian rosewood) and makes a great playing surface. There's just something about the feel of it, difficult to explain, but if you see a bass with a pau-ferro 'board then try it. Whilst on the subject of the 'board the frets are fine, quite low, but it's the fingerboard edges which make the playing experience special as well. The edges are 'rolled' so the neck flows into the fingerbosrd, there's no ledge where the 'board finishes, no sharp, vertical cut at the edge of the 'board. It's so comfortable to play.

At the top end, there's a set of Hipshot ultralite tuners. I haven't had a bass with these before but they work well and look smart and that's fine be me. The tuners are, of course, attached to "that" headstock. OK, it's large and "James Tyler" is written across it a lot. Now I'll move on...

The body of this bass has a familiar shape to it, but has a couple of surprises on the back. The heel has had some meat taken out of it to make playing up high little easier and as a result. the neck plate sits at an angle. There's some shaping on the inside of the lower cutaway as well so all the high frets are available. There's also a generous belly cut as well which does take a big chunk out the thickness of the body. Not that it's very deep anyway as it's under 4cm (1 1/2 inches) at it's thickest.

The bridge is a Badass II and this is the first time I've played a bass with one of these. It's certainly substantial, but the length of the base of the bridge came as a surprise. It's just a lot longer than the saddles could travel. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing at all, it just came as a surprise. The bridge has ample adjustment any way you want to go. Luckily though, this had gone through the hands of Martin and/or John at The Gallery, so the set-up was spot on.

Now onto the electronics. I have to say up front that I do not have any technical info on the pre-amp so I'm just try to describe what I hear. I do want to get hold of the spec and if I do I'll add it to this review. I do know that the pickups are Bartolini's (or at least are in Bartolini casings) and that the pre-amp is definately an 18-volt Demeter circuit.

One thing I'm really happy about is that there's a master volume control as I hate 2 volumes for 2 pickups. I really don't want to have to turn 2 pots when I've finished playing and just want some silence! As well as the master volume there's a master boost as well. After playing around with the controls this afternoon, this eq is both very subtle and very powerful. The tone of any given note can be altered to make it thinner or thicker. There are no gaps in the range of frequencies that this pre-amp controls. Have a problem up high up can adjust it, have a problem down low you can make it boom or just turn it down a tad. The boost is great as well and just gives more of everything. I have a lot of learning to do with this pre, but so far it's very, very impressive.

In closing, I really, really do love this bass. The neck is to die for, it balances great, the playability is great and there isn't a bad sound to be found in that pre-amp. I have to admit that I bought this bass purely on Tyler's reputation for quality, because these basses are in the hand's of some of Nashville session masters (Michael Rhodes, Mike Chapman and Mike Brignardello who was once in Giant with Dann Huff) and because I know the guys in The Gallery are great as well. I now understand why these basses do not come up for sale very often, it's because those who have them keep them because they're amazing instruments. This bass is an instrument I will never sell. Remember when you see that headstock don't laugh. This is one serious bass.

Great review, I have been looking forward to it. Will you be able to do some recording with it? I would love to hear it.

I think it looks superb, what I call as 'sleeper' - a phenomenal bass under a fairly normal physical appearance. Enjoy it!

ped

Nice review. I've always fancied trying one of these but as you say, as rare as a rare thing. Having owned a Demeter preamp (which I dropped in a Warwick) in the past I also envy you that, they are a great pre with loads of headroom and no extraneous noise (though mine looked a lot less complex that yours).

I have to disagree with one aspect of your review... I think that headstock is great and an aspect of the bass that should be saluted not passed over swiftly :)

Thanks guys :)

I think the 'sleeper' tag is a good one. It's one of those basses which you have to know what it is before you freak out about it (similar to your Vigier (Ped) or your Bolin (Warwickhunt) both really amazing basses which don't scream from the rooftops).

I personally think that the headstock is pretty darn cool, but do some people go on about it!!

I got a mate of mine to take some photos of my guitars and basses whilst he was visiting me for a couple of days. He's going to do a little bit of tidying up on Photoshop before I get copies, but I'll post them all when I get them.

The fingerboard "pau-ferro" is Ironwood. It is very common in Vietnam, often used in furniture that will last forever. The weight of the body probably suggests that your specimen is also made of "mamywo" which is James Tyler's nickname for "Malaysian Mystery Wood", - this is actually Jelutong, a very light whitish softwood. It has similar properties to "basswood" and actually is a cheap craft wood use in teaching woodwork, or making hobby craft as it is very easy to work, i.e. easy to shape. It is not quite balsa wood, but like balsa it is used in toys, hobbycraft, etc. Be careful with your body it would dent easily. The owner of GIM guitars in Malaysia Jeffrey Yong has assisted with the sourcing of Jelutong.

Also Jim Tyler is second only to Howard "Alexander" Dumble in eccentricity. Tyler also walks about with a gun on his belt; and I've been told by Jeffrey who visited Tyler, that he literally pumps gun shots at his factory shop reject instruments if they don't make his QC grade.

Edited by synaesthesia

• 11 months later...

I think you forgot to mention the most famous user of these basses "Neil Stubenhauss" he is the reponsible of lots and lots of hits in the 80's and 90's.

You can hear him in Michael Bolton (Well if you can stomach that!) multi platinum, multi whatever album "Soul Provider".

I saw an interview with Neil some time ago and was impressed with his sound, he said that once he played that bass he felt like going into a spell and when he recorded with it never looked back!

Edited by Mcgiver69

I remember reading a old copy of Bass Player where Neil talked about his Tyler bass. There's also a video of his clinic on the Bass Player Live website.

Abe Laboriel is another esteemed Tyler player. He even had his own signature model.

• 3 years later...