Why become a member? ×

Replacement Flats

xgsjx

Well after just over 3 1/2 years of playing TI Jazz flats, I've just snapped the D string. :(

Does anyone know where a single string can be bought? If not, I'm thinking a new set of strings may be in order.

I really like the TIs, so if I replace them, what other flats should I consider? I'd like to retain the low end, but not have too thumpy a sound (like some folk have said about the La Bellas) & retain a good amount of top as I'm often up the dusty end.

What are the D'Addario Chromes like? Do they have a decent low end depth to them?

Chromes are fairly high tension in comparison to TIs, from what I`ve read. I recently had GHS Precision Flats which were a nice traditional sound, plenty enough thump, not too high tension, certainly less than Chromes and LaBellas, both of which I`ve had before.

Edited by Lozz196

Unfortunately neither Strings Direct nor Stringbusters have single TI flats other than the low B & top C & I can't find anywhere else that sells them.

What are the La Bella strings like? I need to get ordering them in time for Wednesday's sesh.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1377355082' post='2186651']
Unfortunately neither Strings Direct nor Stringbusters have single TI flats other than the low B & top C & I can't find anywhere else that sells them.

What are the La Bella strings like? I need to get ordering them in time for Wednesday's sesh.
[/quote]
I think you'll want the lightest gauge available in the labellas ( think they do heavy medium and light in the Deep Talkin flats). I will confess an ulterior motive here in that I would like the opinion of a TI user that tries the light guage labellas before I waste my own dosh - so let us know how you get on!

I've just received my set of Chromes in the post. 1st thoughts - "Are these flats? They sound rather zingy".

They do have a nice depth to them & Rolling the tone back soon makes them sound like proper strings. I suppose the brightness that they have should come in handy for a couple of tracks that have a little slap playing in them.

I like them so far & the tension isn't much different from the TIs. I'll report back once I've tried them in the band. :)

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1377363066' post='2186775']
I think you'll want the lightest gauge available in the labellas ( think they do heavy medium and light in the Deep Talkin flats). I will confess an ulterior motive here in that I would like the opinion of a TI user that tries the light guage labellas before I waste my own dosh - so let us know how you get on!
[/quote]

I'm normally a TI user for my fretless bass but am just about to pull the trigger on a set of La Bella 760FX strings for a newly acquired fretless bass. You may of course have already acted, but if not I'll report back in a few weeks.